Chapter 19: Heart to Heart

They arrived a bit earlier than anticipated, Takemikazuchi having used his mount to help Valmet keep up the pace. After guild fees, the reward has been very slight for a long day's work but what they had been interested in were the two small iron plates.

Now they'd be getting somewhat more real requests and Valmet was looking forward to the ranks climb. They might have been able to bring proof of the ogre kills in order to climb faster but Valmet felt like he wouldn't have earned it that way.

Takemikazuchi: "Let's head back to the inn then. There's nothing else to do for today."

Valmet: "Yeah, I'm pretty tired after today."

The streets were starting to quiet down as the hour began to make itself late. Their walk back to the inn was only filled with their idle chit chat.

Valmet: "You know, if that had been a single ogre, I think I'd have tried it. They're a bit slower than most enemies."

Takemikazuchi: "I could see you dealing with one perhaps. You'd need to find a way past their regeneration, maybe a direct blow to the head of some kind. You are somewhat limited due to only using your fists."

Valmet nodded. "I don't have powerful weapons like you do, that's for sure. But you're very strong even without any weapons."

Takemikazuchi thought for a few moments. "You should be able to use some fist weapons though, like a cestus."

(I've been meaning to try crafting again, see what I can make with this world's materials.)

Takemikazuchi: "I'll try making you a pair."

Valmet: "Thank you but I don't want to bother you with such things sir Takemikazuchi."

Takemikazuchi waved off his objections. "I've been needing to practice and there's something I want to experiment with."

(I can use some of my materials with the item creation menu but would I also be able to simply make something like a real artisan. Which would be stronger? Will my skills apply to not menu created items? What about this world's materials with the menu item; are they compatible?)

Passing by an alley next to the inn Takemikazuchi noticed an Eight-Edge assassin. He waited until both of them were about to enter the inn before talking.

Takemikazuchi: "Ah, there's something I have to do that I forgot about. I'll be back later."

Valmet: "Oh, alright. Well, I'd tell you to take care but my words would just be wasted. I'll see you tomorrow then, I think I'll turn in early tonight."

Takemikazuchi turned around and headed into the alley.

The Eight-Edge assassin bowed. "Lord Ainz is ready to receive you at any time."

Takemikazuchi nodded and opened his inventory. It should be here somewhere he was telling himself as he searched past the innumerable items. He came to a dead stop once he spotted the unique visuals of the item he was looking for. It had been quite a while since he had worn one, having given his back to Momonga mere hours before leaving the game. Ainz had been nice enough to return it to him once more however.

Honor, loyalty, bravery. All of these could be attributed to Takemikazuchi. There was one other that also applied, unbeknownst to those who did not know him well, hoarder.

The sheer size of Takemikazuchi's inventory likely was noticeable on the server side of Yggdrasil. It was not for the added benefit or being prepared and having an item for every situation however. If there was one thing he hated, it was spending his very precious game time organizing inventory space like some kind of spreadsheet. He was however, not one to waste materials or items. Therefore, he had spent quite a substantial sum in cash shop items buying item box spaces. Guild members sometimes referred to him humorously as the walking treasury.