Chapter 13 - Searching for clues

---Marcus' POV---

"And?" I questioned as soon as the office door opened. I heard a grunt behind me before the door slammed shut, footsteps stomping to the table before Brandon threw himself in the seat with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Nothing. Like fucking usual." He sneered angrily, scowling at the wall, as if he was thinking of ways to destroy his enemies with a smile. Truth be told, when we find Zayne's former pack, we would probably destroy the culprits behind Zayne's abuse.

Or should I say if.

Turns out nobody knew where Zayne was from; Mike's brother wasn't cooperating at all and refused to speak so the only one we could ask for information, was Zayne. But asking him about the pack that abused him would only result in more nightmarish memories and none of us wished to push the pup too far.

Leaning back in my seat and throwing my feet on the table, I sighed and rubbed my temples, smiling a bit when I thought of Zayne. The little Omega was slowly making progress, firstly by allowing us to touch him.

You could still tell that he was terrified and didn't trust us but it was a small victory to know we had won the trust of his wolf. It was still early, but I think it was save to say that somewhere in the future, we would get Zayne to truly trust us.

"What're you thinking off?" Terrance muttered, looking up from his report from the Pack law from the North. I shrugged, "Zayne." He smiled at that and shook his head, though I saw the way his eyes softened at the mention of the little Omega.

Brandon hummed pleasantly before piping up, "I wonder who his mate's gonna be?" Terrance and I shared a look before looking at Brandon. "What?" He asked confused when he noticed us staring at him.

"You do realize that you're talking about an Omega, right?" Terrance drawled slowly, as if trying to question Brandon's sanity. The war wolf tensed slightly, narrowing his eyes before he asked, "Yeah, why?"

Shaking my head slightly, I flipped the page I was reading while answering Brandon's question. "Because Omega's are the only wolves in our world that mate differently. You know that in a usual mating, both mates realize who their mate is and become attracted to each other?"

Brandon nodded, so I continued, "Well, do tell me what the emotions are upon meeting your mate." He frowned pensively for a moment before saying, "From what I've been taught, its protectiveness, possessiveness and the intense need to please your mate in any way, wanting to be in their presence constantly, right?"

I nodded and smiled wryly, "Now tell me, what did you feel whenever you're around Zayne?" His face instantly cleared up as he nodded in understanding. "Every wolf feels the same for an Omega as they feel for a mate. An Omega's charm will always pull harder on the unmated wolves but still, it mimics the mating bond."

Brandon nodded slowly, "So, are you telling me that we'll never know who's going to be Zayne's mate? Is he going to end up mate-less?" he questioned worriedly and I couldn't help but feel a tug at my heartstrings at the thought of Zayne never finding his mate. If anyone deserved a happy ending, being loved and cherished by his true love, it was Zayne.

"I don't know Brandon. The only one who will know for sure, is Zayne. He doesn't feel the pull of his own charm, so he'll be able to identify his mate. The problem is, I'm not sure if he even knows about the mating pull."

The room turned silent at that, mostly Terrance as he remembered Zayne disapproving of his mating with Mike initially. A shiver ran up my spine as I wondered if Zayne's abuse wasn't the only crime committed by his former pack.

But they wouldn't be as vile as to force someone into a mating...Gods, I could only hope not. Focusing back on the reports I sighed and rubbed over my face once more. It seemed like Zayne's pack was extremely slippery, almost as if they never existed in the first place.