I. the bet of the mutton stew

☾

1915

Two tender forms flow through the heavy cushions. One had a soft face, with innocence and calmness vibrating from her. Her soft, blonde hair laid next to her defiantly, and her lips were open a little, just so she could breath. An angel. That's what she was.
The other's face was sharp and dominant, her body screaming lust, madness and youth, though her eyes were as emerald as the endless forest. Black of hair, she had. As if a raven were resting on her head. Justice. That's what she was.

"I want to be the End when I grow up. Not a mother, not a soldier. But the End" Spoke the black haired one.

"Why?" Whispered the blonde.

Their backs lay flat on the bed close to one and other. Their whole body was pointing at the ceiling, but their faces. No, they were looking at each other. Two eyes just searching in the two, the space between them was so small, yet so infinite, so blistering.

"Because I could End the war. Yea, tha's what I'd do. So dad could come home. And uncle Arthur and uncle John" Her breathing had grown quicker, only from the thoughts. "Even your brother, Jane!"

The Angel didn't answer.

"And if he doesn't come back, I will gladly take his place. I'll be your brother yea?"

"Promise?"

"Promise"

The black brick line of houses lay perfectly still, as the grey fog swam through the cracks. The industries were loud, explosion was audible on the street, though no one flinched. They never did. That was Small Heath.

It was the end of spring, rain and cold was going away slowly.
A calm day, it was, the morning market was not open yet, but the wrinkled, shrewish ladies of the day were already setting up the sacks of rotten fruit and burnt bread.

Along the narrow street, went long black locks flowing in the air behind Elizabeth Shelby, as she ran trough the busy stacking babushkas. It was dazzling that she hadn't fallen from the long skirt and clumsy knees so far as it seemed. Effy was indeed very confident that her day will not be ruined by any means, in fact she was thriving! Though she did knock over a stall and carrots landed on the dusty stones, and now she thanked John for the defense strategies because Mrs Collins threw the hardest punches.

"Fuck " She breathed because the bloody shoelaces came undone again. But there was no time to tie, she was already late. It was Eddie's birthday, she can't be late. Effy really is gonna fall this time, no doubt. A line of sweat dropped down her forehead, and she aggressively wiped it off. Effy finally saw number 142, the same dull black door they had. She was within reach when her gawky ankles twisted together and of course, she fell. She didn't even flinch though, just a whisper of curse left her lips and she was back on her feet.