“Of course,” Lee said. “Sorry I’m not as good as you.”

“What are you talking about?” Meiling interjected. With graceful precision, she scooped up a small clump of rice and cabbage and popped it into her mouth. She nearly swallowed it whole with a smile. “These are the best cut vegetables I’ve ever had.” Lee giggled. 

“Stop,” Lee said, grinning and blushing. 

“I mean it,” Meiling said. She pinched off another small ball of the rice and vegetable mixture from her own bowl and held it up to Lee’s lips. “Here.”

“I have my own,” Lee said, laughing.

1“Yeah, but I know mine’s great, so you should still try it,” said Meiling. Lee smirked and laughed off Meiling being adorable. She leaned in and parted her lips around the tips of her sticks. Lee chewed and swallowed.

“It’s okay,” said Lee. She slid a little closer to Meiling, still catching a look at her blushing pink soles as Meiling sat up on her knees. “It’s no roast chicken, I bet.” Meiling pinched off a piece of the shredded chicken and ate it quickly. She chewed thoughtfully for longer than Lee had expected. Her eyes lowered, her mind drifting away from her. Lee leaned in and tilted her head. After a few tense seconds, Meiling’s eyes shot back to hers and smiled briefly. 

“It’s okay,” Meiling said. “No, it’s pretty good, just a little dry. I’ll have to keep a better watch over it next time.” There was defeat in her voice. Lee responded by pinching off her own bit, popping it into her mouth, and eating with much more vigor.

“Oh wow, that… that’s better than I was expecting, honestly,” Lee said, pinching off another piece. 

“You didn’t have faith in me?” Meiling asked, teasingly. Lee was quick to shake her head.

“No, no, it’s not at all,” Lee said, finishing the second bite. “Just based on your reaction, you know.” Lee poured a small amount of soy sauce from a glass bottle into a small clay dish. In silence, she proceeded to alternate eating the chicken and rice, dipping each in the dish beforehand. Meiling meal was slow and spent in quiet contemplation that left the chicken growing cold. Lee’s eyes, while studying her expressions, also indulged themselves on Meiling’s upturned soles, soft like little pink pillows. A guilt washed over her for looking at Meiling in that way given the circumstances, but Meiling’s feet were far too precious and attractive for Lee to ignore.

“You think they’ll be okay?” Meiling asked. “The people from Beling.” Lee’s focus was back fully on her.

“I think so,” Lee said. “Xian is a wonderful place. And I know… or, I can imagine that the royal family cares about all of their people.”

“People aren’t anyone’s to be,” Meiling said. More guilt washed over Lee, a guilt she knew she would be damned to bring up. She could only nod.

“I… agree,” Lee said. “But the Emperor and the royal family care. I’m sure they’ll do everything in their power to make sure that everyone is taken care of.” This sentiment did not seem to have an effect on Meiling. 

“I take care of myself,” said Meiling. She looked up to Lee, her eyes long and burdened. “And the ones I love.” Meiling’s smile broke through to reassure Lee of her cool composure. The two continued to eat at a lingering pace, neither having great appetites from the day’s haunting memories. Lee took a few more small bites before lowering her chopsticks. She stared down into the bowl of puffy white rice. She wondered how much time they would still have together and wished to return to the happier days of being able to bury the feeling. Her true wish fell upon staying with Meiling, even if it meant giving up her royal heritage.