Too Much/Not Enough

Start from the beginning

As Harry and Zayn keep their noncholant conversation going, Louis lets his eyes focus and unfocus as he looks at things near and far from him. His eyes eventually land upon Liam, who is sitting in the kitchenette area and softly smiling at his phone. His thumbs hover over the keyboard as he periodically types something, then waits. Something about his demeanor makes Louis concentrate on him; something is wrong. Liam slowly reaches forward and takes a sip from his water bottle, then sighs before putting it back down. He purses his lips and keeps his eyes glued to his phone, then gives a sad smile when his phone dings as a text comes through.

"Hey," Louis almost whispers to Harry.

"Yeah?" Harry attentively responds, brushing Louis' hair off of his forehead as he looks down at him.

"I wanna get up." Harry moves his arm, and Louis gives Harry a chaste kiss on the cheek. He takes three steps forward before sitting down next to Liam, who seems like he doesn't notice Louis' presence at first.

"Hey bud," Liam says, keeping his phone clasped in his hand as he moves it to his lap.

"How are you?" Louis softly asks, looking unwaveringly into Liam's deep brown eyes. His body is facing Liam's, showing his commitment to the conversation.

"I'm lonely. I miss my girlfriend," Liam sighs, immediately giving into Louis' caring nature.

"I'm sorry about that, I'm sure it's not easy travelling the world without her. Is there anything I can do?" Louis' words come straight from his heart, because it would genuinely make his day if he could cheer Liam up.

"I don't think so. I think I'm gonna FaceTime with her when we get to our rooms," Liam decides. Louis offers a small smile and a nod.

"That sounds like a good idea." He stays present with Liam for a moment longer before going back to the couch. Harry has begun to gather his stuff, since the bus is now in the parking lot of their hotel. He puts his headphones back on and connects his phone, then plays music at a low volume to keep his mind from running too fast and absorbing all the input from new people who are going to be around him.

"Louis, no headphones. I need you to be able to hear directions if anything happens," Paul says when Louis steps off the bus and into the chilly night. Louis watches Paul's mouth move while his music plays over him, almost wanting to stay in this blissful world of seeing people talk without actually hearing their words. It is Harry's gentle touch that moves Louis' headphones to rest around his neck.

He silently follows his band mates inside, and that is when the impenetrable wall of unadulterated emotion hits Louis. Dozens of people, mostly dressed in black and dripping in shiny jewelry, walk around the lobby. Some are talking, some are drinking at the bar, and some are sitting and looking around at other's outfits.

Louis' eyes automatically begin scanning the room. He pauses on a boy who looks lost, uncomfortable, and dressed in an expensive suit that he is dreading wearing. He finds his legs walking towards the boy, who meets his eyes when Louis is a few feet away; he recognizes him.

"You're Louis Tomlinson," the boy says with wide eyes. His platinum blonde hair and dark roots do not match the suit whatsoever, but something about his hair fits his vibe.

"I am. And you're out of place," Louis openly responds. He has found that approaching strangers with the truth makes it easier to connect with them than starting with a lie.

"What gave it away?" The boy chuckles. Louis smiles when the stranger gives in and responds with honesty.

"A lot. What are you doing at a place you don't want to be at?" Louis wonders. The boy looks past Louis at the luxuriously dressed people.