"Neens- do you really think that's a good idea? I mean- what if they don't let you see her?", I say.

"So, what Ricky! What if they do?!", she begins to argue.

"Nina, I don't know, okay? I just- don't want you to be-"

"Ricky! What if my mother is lying on a hospital bed right now...g-getting ready to take her l-last breath...and I'm not even there!", she shouts, tears beginning to fall from her eyes. I can hear the pain in her voice and I regret trying to argue this with her.

I raise my hands in defense, "Okay, okay. I-I'm sorry. When do you wanna go?"

"Right now.", she says, getting up and putting shoes on.

I nod my head and grab my car keys from the counter. I slip my shoes on and follow her out the door. The car ride was silent. She was staring out of the window the entire time. Every now and then I'd glance over to look at her, but she never moved position.

After about fifteen minutes, we arrive in the hospital parking lot. I pull into an empty spot and we both get out, beginning to walk to the entrance. Nina keeps her hands in the hoodie pocket, staring at the floor as she walks. As I begin to walk through the entrance doors, I notice she isn't beside me. I turn around and see her staring at the entrance from outside. I walk back towards her and rest a hand on her arm.

"You okay?", I ask.

She takes a deep breath, "Uh- y-yes...I'm okay..."

I nod my head and we both walk inside the hospital. I follow Nina as she walks up to the front desk.

Nina's pov

I take a deep breath before I step up to the front desk.

"Hi there! How can I help you?', the receptionist speaks.

"Uh- c-can I...see uh- M-Michelle Roberts, p-please?", I stutter.

"One second.", she smiles, getting up and walking away.

I bite my lip and stare at the desk as my breathing begins to quicken. I began to get stuck in a trance until I feel Ricky's hand on my back. I swear he always knows when I'm stressed or anxious.

"Hey...take a breath. I'm sure everything's alright.", he whispers just as the lady comes back.

"Okay, they'll let you see her. Right down this hall. Room 2C.", she smiles, pointing.

I nod my head and smile as Ricky, and I walk down the hallway. I can feel my heart racing out of my chest. The palms of my hands were sweating. I felt shaky...like I couldn't breathe. Very quickly we arrive in front of the hospital room. There's a big window next to the door. I keep my head down as I try to calm myself. I finally get the strength to raise my head and look through the window. Once I did, I felt my world stop. There lied my mother. Connected to a ventilator. Needles in her. Unconscious. I blink and am taken back into reality. My hand flies over my heart as I feel my chest get heavy.

"Neens. Neens, breath!", I hear Ricky speak, firmly.

I turn around to face him and the world is spinning. My vision is blurry. Ricky's voice is muffled.

Ricky's pov

I take Nina's hand and guide her away from the hospital room. My heart was broken for her. I couldn't imagine seeing my own mother lying unconscious on a hospital bed.

"Nina...take a deep breath, okay? Just, calm down...", I say, standing around the corner with her. ]

"R-Ricky-"

"I'm right here Neens. Right here...", I whisper, holding both her hands in mine.

"I- I need to si-sit...", she quietly talks.

I look around the room and take her hand, guiding her towards a small waiting room in the hallway. She takes a seat on the couch and rests her head back, closing her eyes. She was still breathing heavy and shaky.

"Hey, wait here. I'll be right back, okay?", I say.

I see her give a thumbs up and then I bolt down the hallway back towards the hospital room. I stop in front of room 2C and blankly stare at her mom. I begin to look all around for a nurse or doctor. Eventually, a man in a white coat walks up to the door and I stop him before he can walk inside.

"Sir, excuse me!", I say, reaching my hand out.

"Yes? Is there a problem?", he replies.

"N-no- I just- uh, are you the doctor for...her?", I ask, nodding my head at Nina's mom.

"Yes...I am. Why are you wondering?"

"Um...what exactly happened?", I ask, straight forward. The man takes his hand off of the door handle, sighing as he looks up at me.

"I can't tell you, I'm sorry.", he says.

"Wait- you see her over there?", I reply, pointing at Nina. The doctor nods his head and looks at me confused.

"That's her mom in there. I'm her friend. I need to know what happened, please...", I beg.

He sighs and shrugs, "We're not sure. I mean, Mrs. Roberts has been coming to us for the past...five years or so, with a sickness we don't know how to cure. Let alone, know what it is. Were doing tests and monitoring her to try and figure it out."

"I-is she gonna be okay?", I ask, nervous.

He sighs, "The way it looks...the sickness isn't slowing down. It's spreading through her body faster than we can handle. Soon it'll start effecting vital parts of the body."

"W-what...", I breath out.

"Sir...long story short-"

He finishes talking and I can't believe what I heard. I nod my head and turn on my heel to walk back towards Nina as the doctor walks into the hospital room. I keep my hands in my pockets and my head down as I dread having to face Nina, knowing this information. I take a deep breath as I turn the corner and meet her eyes.

"H-hey, where've you been?", she asks.

"Oh uh- I was- in the...b-bathroom?", I stutter.

She sighs, "Ricky...you're lying."

"W-what! No...no I'm not." 

She looks at her phone screen, "I highly doubt you were in the bathroom for thirty-five minutes. Tell me the truth please. I need to know I can trust...you. You're all I have right now Ricky..."

I let out a breath, "I was talking to the doctor."

Her eyes bulge out of her head, "What?! What did they say?! Is my mom okay?! What's happening?!"

I place my hands on her arms, "Nina...I'll uh I'll tell you at my house."

"No! I wanna know right now...", she says.

"Neens, please. Just...come home first."

She crosses her arms, "Fine. Let's go."

I nod my head and we make our way out of the hospital and into my red jeep. She was silent the whole ride...definitely angry with me.

Nina's pov

I walk into the house and take a seat at the kitchen island. I look at Ricky as he walks through the door and takes his shoes off, placing his keys down on the counter.

"I'm ready.", I say.

He walks in front of me, on the other side of the island. He takes a deep breath.

"Nina...y-your mom...she's...she's got a week left..."