Wishing for a sibling

        Most of the people around the world have siblings. Most of the people I have met so far have at least one brother or sister. For me, it's kind of rare to meet someone who doesn't have a sibling. Whenever I asked the people around me if they have a sibling/s, most of them replied "yes, I have". For someone like me, who doesn't have a brother and a sister, life is lonely without having a brother or a sister who is always there at your side. Being an only child is hard. It's actually a very lonely world for us, most of us, who doesn't have a sibling. Especially for someone like me who is always left at home, all alone.

        My parents started to leave me all alone at home, when I was in grade two. They always told me that I should be left alone because I have to and they can't accompany me at home because they have to go to work. Of course I understand that, but it's very hard for a six year old, almost seven actually, to be left home alone at a very young age. Especially when there are times that I have to eat alone and sleep alone at night. When I got sick, there are times in the past that I would have to take care of myself alone at home. It's very lonely and hard for someone like me who is always left home alone. That's the reason why I wanted to have a sister or a brother. If I have a brother/sister, I wouldn't be left alone at home and there's someone who will be always there for me. That's the reason why in the past, I envied my friends when they tell me that their brother/sister takes care of them when they are sick. Most of the kids around me have someone that can teach and help them in their studies. And somehow, I'm envious of them because I have to do all of my assignments all alone at home. If only I have a sister/brother, there's someone who can help me in my studies. Or maybe vice versa, if I have a younger brother/sister, I can teach and help them in their studies.         Most of an only child, who is left alone at home, wanted to have a brother or a sister. We always wish to have one. But at some point we become used to be the way we are right now. But for someone like me who is left all alone at home at a very young age, I still wish that I had a brother or a sister. Life would me more colorful, fun, and enjoyable if you have a sibling. There's always someone by your side to support, guide and help you. There's always someone who you can enjoy being with.  So to those who have a sibling or siblings, please treasure your sibling/s because your life will be different and lonely without them.         But then I realized that even though I'm an only child, life can still be fun and enjoyable. We're not alone in this world. We have our family and friends at our side. They're always there when we need them. They always make us smile and protect us from other people. They're always there to protect, defend and love us. For us, only child, our cousins and our friends are our sibling/s who we never had. And besides, you can also treat your best friend or your cousin as if you guys are siblings. And to those who are also an only child, remember that you're not alone in this world because you still have your parents at your side who loves you so much. For them, you're the most precious and dearest person in the world for them. Precious the things you have, especially your friends, your family and your parents.

*************************************************************************************

Hey guys! That's one of my assignments that I had in my Creative Writing subject in my 1st year college. The original title of this essay is "I wish I have a brother or a sister". You can also read this essay in TC102 blog (http://blogsalatc102.blogspot.com/2014/08/wish-you-were-here.html?view=flipcard) entitled "Wish you were here".

Hope you enjoy it! Thank you. :)

~Lyssa~