Things Will Change

Start from the beginning

Mia straightened, eyes narrowing in anger as she turned around, but before she could open her mouth, Alex pulled her back, mumbling, "Just let it go."

Looking at him in confusion, she said, "You're actually insane if you think I'm letting that go. Lex, that's not okay!"

He shrugged sadly, wrapping his arm around her shoulder to hold her in place, "I know its not okay. But I don't want you saying anything. That's just dangerous. Please."

She sighed, nodding, before pressing a kiss to his cheek, "Je t'aime," she whispered, knowing he wouldn't be able to understand her, and that it would frustrate him.

And just as she'd predicted, he rolled his eyes, a small smile on his face, as he grumbled, "When are you gonna tell me what that means."

"When I feel like telling you, trésor, which isn't today."

———————

"What a game, papito!" Pen cheered happily, as she ushered everyone into the apartment.

"Hello, Dodgers? You want Alex Alvarez? We'll think about it!" Joked Lydia happily, winking at her grandson.

Mia, however, could see the frustration growing on the boy's face, so she remained quiet, opting instead to softly rub his knuckles, hoping to calm him down before he imploded.

Unfortunately, she failed.

As Pen began signing a song she'd created, Alex erupted, "Oh, my God, shut up!"

The group quieted down, and Lydia spoke up, "Did you just say shut up to God?"

Pushing her away, Penelope approached her son, glaring slightly, "Did you just say shut up to me? Because that's worse."

He let go of Mia's hand, gesturing wildly, "Everything you are doing is embarrassing!"

"That's not getting me on your side."

"Well, I don't like all that crazy yelling you guys do at my games! And that song, I hate that stupid..."

"First of all," Pen cut him off, voice rising, "don't talk to me like that. Second... you hate that song?"

Schneider approached quietly, telling the boy, "Alex, you gotta appreciate how these guys support you. My dad never came to my games. All he ever did was put me through rehab six times and buy me this building."

Mia rolled her eyes, rubbing her dad's shoulder softly, before murmuring, "You tired." As Alex explained, "Look, all I know is, none of the other parents act like you."

"Come on, it's all because we're proud of you, papito." Cajoled Penelope softly.

"And stop calling me papito! I'm not a little kid anymore. My name is Alex, okay? No more papito." He added.

Both women made astounded eye contact, before shaking their heads, "Yeah, no. we'll still call you Papito."

Pen softened her voice, explaining, "Papito is not an age thing. We call Conrad "Macho" because when he was four, he sang "Macho Man" once. We call Francisco "Pepe Popo." Figure that out." Gesturing towards Mia, she continued, "You call Mia, Mellie and Princesa, and we call her Angelita, cause she looks like an Angel. I'm called Tata, Lupita, Yoyi."

"And my nickname is Pucha. It is the way of our people! If you don't have a nickname, there's something wrong with you." Finished Lydia with a smile.

"Do I have a nickname?" Asked Elena, only to frown when Lydia said, "No."

"Anyway," finished Penelope, "it's a tradition to call you papito, so we're gonna keep doing it, okay, papito?"