Chapter Thirty Five

I entered Rick's room with flowers in my hand. It felt a little weird being there. It looked like Brad fell asleep on the chair next to Rick's bed. I could tell he continued crying after I left yesterday. I silently walked to the vase placed on top of the table at the corner of the room and put the flowers inside it. I noticed a get well card next to the vase. I was glad someone apart from Brad and Noah cared for Ricky.

I turned around hoping I could wake up Brad and take him out to eat but I found Rick wide awake. I kept quiet as I stared at his not so good looking face. I wonder how long the bruises on his face will last.

"Brad told me, you're the one who helped me." He said and I nodded. "Thanks. It must have been nice to see me get the bullshit I deserved." He said with a chuckle.

I would not say I was thrilled about that. I mean sure I thought he deserved to be taught a lesson but not in that way. Now, I just think he needs therapy. Who knows how long his dad has been doing this to him.

"How are you doing?" I asked instead of commenting on what he said.

The question seemed to shock him a little like he was not expecting me to say that. He cleared his throat looking away from me.

"I... I'm good, I guess. Could use a glass of water though." He said looking at the jar full of water next to the vase of flowers.

I nodded grabbing the jar and pouring water into the glass. I made my way towards him and handed him the glass of water. He mumbled thanks and drank the water. I stared at him as gulped down the water and handed me the glass. When I made no move he looked at me confused.

"Do I have something on my face?" He asked wiping his face.

I shook my head and put the glass back on the table without looking back at him I said: "I forgive you." I meant it.

There was no use in holding the hatred for him when I knew the truth now. With that, I left the room. For some reason, it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

***

I hugged Ethan tighter and cried. I really did not want to let go of him. I felt so torn now I would not be able to see him every day. Who was going to give me rides to school now? Who was going to surprise me with doughnuts and marshmallows? Who was going to fight with Sandy for me? I could not help but cry harder. 

"Seriously Jeremy? Even I am not that sad and I'm his sister." Sandy said rolling her eyes at me.

Well, it was not exactly easy to let go of him knowing fully well he and I were not going to see each other every day and he was going away. Three hours away to be exact. The worst part was I do not have a driver's licence yet so I could not even drive to see him when I wanted instead I have to ask my parents like a five-year-old.

"I'll come on the weekends and holidays," Ethan said gently stroking my hair. "Let go." He tried to loosen up my grip but I only cried harder.

"Wow and I thought I had issues," Noah commented and I grabbed him too.

I was going to miss his cocky and sarcastic self too. They were both heading to college. I wish the year would not have ended so fast. Luckily for me, they were both going to the same college so it would be easy for them to spy on each other for me but then again they were in different departments Ethan got law and Noah got medicine.

Weird huh? I thought it would be vice versa but somehow Noah made it to medicine.

"I am going to miss you guys so, so, so much." I cried out.

"Maybe we should take a gap year...Jeremy seems to need us here." Ethan said looking at Noah and I  rolled my eyes letting go of them both. 

I knew it was possible for these two idiots to actually drop out for a year. They did not care about money because they had plenty plus Noah would be happy because he would get the chance to fool around with girls, Ethan on the other away would fool around with me which was bad because he would distract me. So them going to college is a good thing? Definitely but that did not mean I was not going to miss them.