▪︎ Chapter 2 - Its My Bread ▪︎

Start from the beginning

"Hello, how can I help you today?" A cookie with a mixture of light green and dark green hair approached me. I was startled, and took a step back from her presents, before thinking. 'What was I here for?'

"Uhm... I need flour and raisins, and powdered sugar." I mumble, rocking slightly back and forth on my feet. She placed her hand on her chin in a thinking motion, before swinging her arm around and pointing to the back wall.

"We should have all that there! Though I'm not sure about raisins, you might have to check the next little shop about a block away." She said as cheerfully as she could. Her bubbly spirit was endearing, making me feel some sort of way.

Whatever that feeling was needed to go away, I'm busy.

I gave her a small nod, and walked back to where she pointed, a wooden shelf with many bags was neatly labeled.

There was the flour, and the sugar I needed. Just like she said, there were no raisins. That's alright, I'll just buy these for now.

I hoisted them both up, and brought them over to the check-out counter, a Jelly Bear stood there was a happy smile. Maybe there was something in the air that made everyone happy.

"Welcome! Will this be all today?" The bear said with an unusually deep voice, which caught me off guard. I panicked, and without thinking, I just gave him a nod. He smiled, "That's great. I'll give you one of these bags to help with travel." He pulled out a medium-sized bag, one that swept over one shoulder and off to the side, like a book bag. It was a rather nice bag for him to just give away for free.

"That will be 3 crystals please!" He asked while packing away your ingredients into the bag. You pulled out the crystals and gave them to him, he scooped them up and placed them in the metal box nearby the register. The receipt was printed, and he set it in the bag, handing it over.

"Have a great day!" He said with a smile, I could only awkwardly smile back. I put the bag over my shoulder, letting it rest on my hip, and swiftly left the shop.

The outside was still chilly, so I rushed over to the next shop nearby. As luck would have it, they didn't have Raisins either.

The next shop had none in stock, and the next shop very rudely kicked you out for looking highly suspicious. To be fair, I WAS slipping items into my bag as I walked, but only because that shop was filled with entitled jerks. I didn't steal from the first few shops.

The deep city was a lot more spooky, darker allys with less and fewer family shops.

Finally, as I was walking past another bear after asking about Raisins, a cookie stopped me.

"I heard you were looking for raisins? I've got a bag here, but I want 4 crystals for it. I had to travel 2 hours out for it, I want my moneys worth." The cookie asked, holding my arm against my will. I would be angrier if they didn't have what I needed. With a small nod, I responded, "Make it 3 Crystals and 100 coins, and it's a deal."

I pulled the bag of money bag out of my pocket, and as I was about to take out the money, the cookie snatched the bag away. They laughed, before shoving me back.

"Give me your bag, your sweater, and a fun night..." they produced a knife from behind their back, "and then I'll consider letting you go." Oh boy, here we go again.

I looked down at the pavement for a moment, before starting the waterworks.

"Please, don't, I have a family that's waiting for me, don't hurt me." My voice was shaky and sorrowful, I could see his eyes soften. Unfortunately, he didn't see my hand slip into my pocket.