For Thee and Only Thee Part VIII

Начните с самого начала

You eyed the crowd. "It's a bunch of drunks, 'Ferre."

"This is Grantaire we are speaking of, (Y/N)."

"Point taken, 'Ferre."

You arrived at the grandiose gates of the university, and were amazed at the sheer magnitude of the looming buildings beyond. So this was where they went to school. "This is..."

"It's a palace, basically. Many of the professors act like monarchs too."

"It's...impressive. And intimidating. Very, very intimidating." You gently laced your fingers through the metal design on the gate, peering in. Oh, to get inside, to learn, to gain a university education! It was almost too much to bear. "I'll be there someday..." you whispered.

Combeferre had sat on the paving stones and was currently going to town on the bread basket. You suddenly weren't hungry. You gazed wistfully at the students congregating on various sections of the lawn, some engaging in boisterous dialogue, others sprawled out under the shade of the trees, others walking into the ginormous building beyond.

Time passed, and Combeferre was silent as you continued gazing through the gates, daydreaming.

And then, a flash of red, a rushed pace of boots, and Enjolras, head down, emerged from the building. There was a sea of students at the bottom of the stairs, which he parted like the Red Seas. No one talked to him, and he kept his glance always a few paces in front of him.

This was the first sign that caused you to realize that Enjolras not only led a solitary lifestyle - he was an outcast at this university of privilege. He was lonely.

Even if he would never admit it, he was lonely without his Amis...

"'Ferre!" you said, excitedly pointing at the figure in red striding across the lawn.

Combeferre grinned. "This should be good. He knows not that you are coming."

"What? Combeferre!!" you exclaimed, blushing. You jokingly hid behind him.

"What are you - (Y/N)!"

"Hide me, Combeferre, the lion is coming to sup!" you drawled, laughing, and your foolishness caused Combeferre to laugh a very un-serious laugh and stagger to his knees in dramatic effect.

"Please have mercy on our souls!" he crowed, and you both dissolved into hysterics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"And what is going on here?" The marble man was back. No hint of a smile, and not hint of amusement in his eyes.

"Is something wrong?" you said, immediately serious while Combeferre continued laughing.

Enjolras's brow furrowed. "On the contrary. Everything is perfectly well. What are you doing here?"

"We thought we'd have a nice picnic and wait for you after our shift. What happened to you, Enjolras? You seem...I thought we had fun this morning...."

"It is very late; I am tired from a-"

"HE FELL ASLEEP IN CLASS!" crowed Courfeyrac, bounding through the gates and crushing a very disgruntled Enjolras in a bear hug. "The man waits until after he catches a wink to tell me that he stayed up all night babysitting the Musain with (Y/N)."

"You mean to tell me you didn't get any sleep last night?" asked Combeferre incredulously, attempting to calm down from his fit of laughter.

"I'm...actually used to it," you mumbled. "I didn't think anything of it, we..."

"HE SNORED IN CLASS!" claimed Courf triumphantly.

"Courfeyrac, that is ENOUGH!" spoke Enjolras, ending with a sharp yell.

Courfeyrac let go of his sleep-deprived friend and raised his hands in surrender.

"Go," 'Ferre was mouthing, and Courf made quite the dramatic exit, complete with bowing. If Enjolras's eyes weren't shooting daggers, you would have laughed. Instead, you were concerned for Enjolras's health. Maybe it was only an act of sleep deprivation that caused him to act so kindly to you this morning. Simply a fantasy.

"Enjolras, I am so sorry, let's get you home and asleep," you said.

"Got homework?" said Combeferre helpfully.

"Yes, Combeferre, a twenty-page analysis of the triumphs of Napoleon Buonaparte in the Battle of Waterloo, to be submitted tomorrow."

"The loser," you piped up.

"Well that's no big deal, you write thirty to forty page speeches in one night, plus you have all those books about Waterloo on your bookshelf!" added 'Ferre.

You paled.

Je t'aime, Enjolras.

"I have to go," you grunted, and 'Ferre spun to look at you. "Wait, why? I thought we were going to the back room..."

"Get Enjolras home, I..."

Je t'aime, Enjolras.

Enjolras

Je t'aime

Written in ink...in Waterloo: A History.

"I...need some space," you concluded lamely, and broke away from them, hurrying in the general direction of Monsieur Valjean's house.