2. ajak.

south dakota.

"HERE we are." ikaris gestures to the beige farmhouse that blends into the horizon. sprite smiles with recognition, and sersi's eyes widen with wonder.

"it's beautiful." she mutters under her breath. ikaris smiles at her, a small, secret smile. since they left dane in london, ikaris can be however flirty he chooses. it's funny.

the door rattles as ikaris knocks on it. only silence responds. he pushes open the door.

"it's unlocked. that's unusual." sersi mutters. "ajak would be more careful."

as the entered the home, they noticed nothing off. everything was clean, organized. there was no sign of ajak.

"ajak? hello?" sersi's voice echoes eerily.

"something's wrong." sprite states, rushing to one side of the living room, trying to look for any sign of ajak. ikaris is silent.

sersi's eye catches on the open back door. she crosses to it, pushes it open, and stops.

there's a body next to a destroyed farmhouse.

ajak.

"ajak!" sersi cries out, rushing towards the body on the ground. ikaris runs out a few seconds after, followed by sprite.

"oh my god!" sprite begins to sob; sersi isn't much better. ikaris, once again, is silent.

"no, no." sersi cries. "oh, ajak..."

————————————————————————

the door creaks open as ikaris enters the kitchen.

there's ajak, in a floral apron, and sprite, dancing with her.

the end of the world by skeeter davis plays softly in the background.

ikaris' breath catches in his throat. but ajak-

sprite and ajak disappear, go reveal sprite sitting alone on a chair at the table.

ah, sprite. the illusionist.

ikaris exhales, making his presence known. sprite turns to him. "that was the last time i saw her." he doesn't respond.

outside, sersi kneels beside ajak's body. she's crying less than before, but the pain is the same.

suddenly, a small hole appears in ajak's chest, and a golden ball about the size of a gold ball flies out. sersi, startled, backs up a little. the sphere finds its way into a whole that suddenly appeared in sersi's chest.

this next part happened in sersi's head, so there's not much to say about it from this end. whatever did happen changed the course of the lives of the eternals.

eventually, sersi comes back to herself, and by this time, ikaris and sprite have rushed out, worried and confused as to why sersi wasn't answering them.

"sersi! sersi!" ikaris yells as he softly shakes her shoulders. sprite grabs one of sersi's hands and squeezes it. "sersi?" she says softly.

with a gasp, sersi become conscious and the other two breath a sigh of relief.

"sersi! oh, you're okay." ikaris smiles thankfully.

sersi's eyes are filled with a new determination as she takes a deep breath.

"we need to find the rest of the eternals. all of them."

i'm making this one kinda short because the next few will be longer. love y'all!