Questions

OVER BLACK

JI-YEONG (V.O.)
Kang Sae-byeok.

SAE-BYEOK (V.O.)
Hmm?

CUT TO:

EXT. BUS STOP - LATE EVENING

SAE-BYEOK, in less proper but warm clothes, leans on the railing of a small bus stop in Seoul.

JI-YEONG, dressed similarly, walks under the stop with a cup of takeout coffee. She occupies the space right beside Sae-byeok.

People are just coming home from work and traffic pass by their street. The stop is small, just enough for two or three people. No one else is there.

The scene feels day-to-day and ordinary. There are no green tracksuits and no pink soldiers. There is no game anywhere.

Ji-yeong holds her cup to Sae-byeok and shakes it in front of her.

JI-YEONG
You want?

Sae-byeok takes the coffee and sips it, without comment, and without looking at her. She places it back on the railing after a few sips. Ji-yeong only smiles and joins her in watching cars pass the street.

JI-YEONG
About that place... I got the tickets.

SAE-BYEOK
Jeju Island?

JI-YEONG
Mhm. You said you wanted to go. We'll go the day after tomorrow. We could even ride a cab to the port.

SAE-BYEOK
Where'd you get the money for all of this?

JI-YEONG
The pig on the ceiling.

Ji-yeong giggles at her own joke.

JI-YEONG
I'm kidding. I pocketed an old dude outside the convenience store. He was drunk and slept on his ramen. Dude's wallet was sticking out the pocket on his ass. Like this.

Ji-yeong bends over slightly and reaches for her back pocket, demonstrating for Sae-byeok.

JI-YEONG
Don't worry about getting caught. I had a hoodie. They can't catch me on cam.

A man bumps into the back of their bus stop. Both of them jump at the thud. He's getting chased by a group of loan sharks.

Sae-byeok turns to her side, watching the man get tackled on by the group. Meanwhile, Ji-yeong did not even glance. She just smiles at what happened.

JI-YEONG
Is it really better here?

SAE-BYEOK
You're talking about that guy?

JI-YEONG
You said you came here because you thought it's better here. Is it really better here? I didn't get to ask, like... the last time we met.

We can't read Sae-byeok's face.

SAE-BYEOK
It doesn't matter.

Ji-yeong is disappointed with the answer and hisses.

SAE-BYEOK
When are we going back from the trip?

JI-YEONG
Tsk... you're right, I didn't get a return ticket. I don't know, Jesus' second coming? I'll give it a thought. Please bear with me. I've no idea how to do this planning a trip shit.

Sae-byeok does not react.

JI-YEONG
Fuck, loosen up, please? All I thought of is watching sunset, you know, with the mojitos like we talked about. Just that. You always sound like you're on a secret mission. No one likes it.

Ji-yeong points at all the buildings on the street with her head. She explains her points with her hands.

JI-YEONG
You know there's no sunset or view in this place. All corporate glass offices that reflect the sun everywhere and they just fucking burn your eyes. Shit, capitalists gotta ruin everything.