Chapter 3: We Do Some Avenging

Start from the beginning

"You betcha," I say. I had trained jumping from the quinjet before, and had controlled flying now, and it became my favorite kind of training exercise.

However, it had never been into open combat. But I had them. I'd be fine.

"While we're on it, you need a superhero name or whatever it's called," Tony said and nudged my arm as his mask slid down over his face.

"Thor is just called Thor," I say blandly.

"What else are we gonna call him?" Tony asks and I could practically hear the smirk in his voice. The hanger door began to lower and I turned to look back and Steve gave me a thumbs-up and an encouraging smile.

"I guess that's a fair point. See ya down there." I ran and jumped off the hanger door, my wings catching me as I turned and dove for the tree line, tucking them in tight to my body.

Tony and Thor were close behind me.

That's when I saw the first soldier. He wore white camouflage, and I almost questioned how I saw him, but realized that I didn't see him, but sensed his mind activity. I had done training exercises where I located S.H.I.E.L.D. agents with my telepathy. And now was the time to put it into practice.

I reached up to my comm and said, "They're in snow camo."

I then reached the man and tackled him out of the tree. He fell with a yelp of surprise. I merely punched him in the face and stood and jumped into the air again as a bullet was fired at me, but Thor took the sniper out. I got up and jumped into the air again, looking out and locating the minds of several more people in the trees.

"More in the trees." I said into my earpiece.

I looked down as I heard a jeep and saw that Clint and Natasha had taken one over, Clint holding his bow at the ready. And Steve was on a motorcycle.

"You keep telling us where these guys are, Avery," Steve said. "We're gonna need it. I can barely see most of them."

Suddenly, a roar broke out and Bruce jumped from the back of the jeep as the Hulk, giant and green and muscled. I watched from where I flew as he began to tear through the soldiers that came swarming.

I dove down into the trees again as I located a structure with three men on it, and landed, ducking and sweeping my wings out as I tripped up their legs, then kicked them over the railings, jumping up and over the structure's railing with a handgun now.

I continued to fight through the soldiers, watching as effortlessly the others filled in where I was absent and I located ones that were hiding and they uncovered them.

Then, a giant building came into view. And so did several tanks. I yelped as one shot a bolt of energy in my direction and I made it behind a tree as it shot passed me. Then, the tank was ripped to shreds moments later by Bruce.

We locked eyes momentarily, Bruce's brown eyes still the same, but he shook his head and looked away, letting out a roar as he jumped up to destroy more of the energy tanks.

I looked up as Tony shot by overhead and I ran forward and jumped into the air, pumping my wings to try and catch up, and watched him fly towards the building. More of those energy canons fired at him, but they bounced off his suit effortlessly. He continued to fly... and bounced off a strange blue energy field.

"Ouch." I mumbled with a wince of sympathy.

"Shit!" Tony yelled on the comms.

"Language!" Steve replied.

I snorted and dove back into the trees as Tony said, "Jarvis, analyze that thing for me."

"It seems to be surrounded by an energy field, the whole perimeter, sir. It is run by a generator." Jarvis replied in our ears.