PROLOGUE

Puffy's POV
——————
I swear, every night feels colder and colder in this terrible place. The coldest of it all is probably the forests, where I-for some reason-am currently walking around in. I suppose I needed time to think.
The forest, despite being cold, was soothing in a way. It was nice, especially for someone like me; just dying to take a minute away from the constant madness. It was perfect.
Peace and quiet.
Well—that was until I heard Tommy.
Somewhere in the distance, somewhere in the forest, I could hear him.
Tommy doesn't go out alone. He knows better. Yes, some may disagree but I know that boy. He's not going to go running around at night in a forest after everything that's happened.
Especially not with a broken leg.
So what was he doing out here?
That wasn't even the weirdest part. He didn't sound distressed whatsoever. Well, at least to someone who knows Tommy he didn't. If anyone that didn't know him heard that sound, they would probably assume it was a terrified animal trapped in a cage.
As someone who does know him, I'm aware that's just his laugh.
  Of course, the sound caught me off-guard, so I instinctually ran to him. I was running through the trees trying to find out what the child was doing in a forest in the middle of the night when I saw him, sitting in a puddle of mud.
  Saying he was covered in mud is an understatement. I couldn't even tell it was Tommy until the tree branch tripped me and I fell.