18 - A Lasting Memory

Start from the beginning

"Put that away will you," Sirius caught your attention with his sudden tone. "before Wormtail wets himself with excitement." Everyone grinned except Peter who turned bright red with embarrassment. 

"If it bothers you." James huffed, shoving it back into his pocket. Everyone knew he was the only one he'd stop showing off for.

"I'm bored," Sirius spoke again, his hand reaching to the ends of your hair to let it wrap and move around his fingertips. "Wish it was the full moon." 

"Will be in a few hours." You replied. 

"You might," Lupin said in a dark tone, staring at Sirius from the tops of the book he was currently reading. "We've still got Transfiguration, if you're bored you could test me. Here ..." He held his book out towards you and Sirius but Sirius snorted at his request. 

"I don't need to look at that rubbish, I know it all." 

"This'll liven you up, Padfoot," James spoke in a hushed tone. "Look who it is ..." Sirius turned his head, then became very still, like a dog that had scented a rabbit. 

"Excellent." He whispered. You turned your head to follow his gaze, looking to see what they had spotted and to no surprise, you saw Severus Snape sitting under a nearby tree. "Snivellus." Sirius kept his tone as he spoke, his arm leaving your shoulder before slowly standing up.

"Sirius leave it!" You hissed at him like he was a dog about to chase prey.

Lupin and Peter remained seated whereas you got up with James and Sirius in the hopes that they would leave Snape alone, hopefully, a little convincing on your part might do the trick but everyone knows that there's a higher chance of Lupin being cured of lycanthropy than the pair of them ever leaving Severus Snape alone.

At this point, it seemed as Snape had caught on to the fact that the boys were fast approaching so he had begun to walk away but that wasn't going to stop James and Sirius. 

"All right Snivellus?" James spoke in a loud voice. Snape reacted so fast, he dropped his bag and plunged into his robe pocket to pull out his wand and raise it into the air but James was faster. "Expelliarmus!" Snape's wand flew several feet in the air and landed a few feet away from behind him. Sirius let out a bark of laughter at the sight of the Slytherin boy. "Impedimenta!" He yelled again which caused Snape to fall as he tried to dive for his wand. 

Students had heard the commotion and began to surround and join the affair. Snape was laying on the ground, panting with fear as both boys walked towards him with their wands raised. Even Peter and Lupin had joined the crowd. 

"Sirius drop it!" You hissed again. 

"How'd the exam go, Snivelly?" James spoke. 

"I was watching him, his nose was touching the parchment," Sirius ignored you as he spoke in a vicious tone. "There'll be great grease marks all over it, they won't be able to read a word." A roar of laughter came from the students who were watching on. 

"Sirius leave him -" You never got to finish before Sirius turned around and grabbed your arm. He pulled you into his chest so your noses were almost touching but his expression wasn't suggestive, it was cold. 

"You might be in our little friendship group now but there's something you haven't quite come to terms with." His grip tightened on your arm. "Stay out of the way when it comes to him. He isn't worth defending (y/n). Keep your pretty little mouth shut and out of this business that you were never a part of." He shoved you back slightly into the crowd before he turned to Snape who was still panting as he spoke. 

"You - wait," He stared up at James as he spoke. "you wait -" 

"Wait for what?" Sirius snapped. "What're you going to do Snivelly, wipe your nose on us?"