Chapter 34

Muzan had wanted to make a decision. It wasn't a decision that made sense, it wasn't a decision that was guaranteed to end well, and it wasn't even a decision he needed to make.

But he wanted to make it. For Tsuka. The only problem was how he was going to do it in the first place.

"Sir!" a demon called out from behind him.

It was already past sunset, which meant demons could roam the city. He was in the Emperor's Chamber, a dozen demons passing in and out of the room, tending to matters of miscellaneous natures. Hirohito was at the very back of the chamber, sitting on his throne, barely moving a muscle. The boy knew better than to try and resist Muzan's orders, but his stiff posture and miserable expression was inevitable. He was being held captive, after all.

"Sir, report from the Upper Moons." the demon said. Muzan turned his swivel chair to face him, a cigarette in his hand. The cigarette was less a tool to relax him, more a way to remind him of human men he typically spotted in the streets. It reminded him of his newfound humanity, which helped, since he was in a room surrounded by demons.

"Well?" he asked.

"Sir, about the Kamado girl, they say she has been refusing to consume human flesh for the past few days, and there seems to be no progress as to her demonization. Lord Gyokko is watching over her as we speak."

Muzan shook his head, placing the cigarette back in his mouth. "I worry. He might start trying to peel the poor girl's skin off. Replace Gyokko with Gyutaro. At least he's got some sense of decency."

"I will make sure of that, sir." the demon nodded. "as for other matters, there are reports of multiple of our colonies disappearing in the night. Unfortunately, the reports themselves are contradictory, some of them stating that the entire colony was wiped out, others stating that a slayer had barged in and interrogated the demons. However, most of the reports do agree on one thing."

Muzan brought his head up, resting his elbows on his chair's armrests. He may want to hear this.

"The slayer in question was a woman in a white haori and purple hair tips, wielding a Nichirin blade that injects wisteria."

Muzan's eyes widened.  That woman?

He remembered when he had kidnapped the Kamado girl, there had been a slayer along with Giyuu. She was the one nursing the boar-head's wounds behind him.

If I find the woman...  Muzan thought.  Perhaps I could get to talk to her...

But Muzan shook his head. That was foolish. She would never listen to him. Besides, words mean nothing from a manipulative leech like him. He'd need to prove it.

Prove my humanity...  Muzan thought.  Would I be too late for that? After everyone I've killed? Men, women, children... I don't deserve redemption.

But as his faith started to slip, he remembered Tsuka. Sweet, beautiful Tsuka. If it were here choice, she would allow him the path to redemption, the path to a new life. He just needed to convince the world that he was worthy.

 But how?

"Tonight. In an hour's time." Muzan said to the demon. "From dusk 'till dawn, we look for the slayer in white."

The demon nodded.

"Gather a dozen of us." Muzan ordered, standing up from his swivel chair. "Send for Kokushibo as well. We're finding her. Though, tell them that this is STRICTLY a recon mission. Nothing else. I don't want them suddenly drawing their swords on anything painted white."

The demon nodded again. Muzan took the cigarette from his mouth and crushed it in between his fingers, disposing of the remains out a nearby window.