Chapter 5: Bonding

Chapter 5: Bonding

After the ordeal with Floof finding the theatre, Krystal remained quiet for a lot of the day. At roughly 2pm, Lance had been walking down the hallway, noticing Krystal's room door was open a bit.

"Odd," he thought. "She usually keeps her door closed." He stepped closer, gently knocking on the door.

"Come in." came Krystal's voice.

Pushing the door open, he spotted her sitting in the bed, legs under the blankets with a reading tablet in her hands, her eyes scanning across the screen. She looked up, her glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose.

"Oh, hi Lance." She smiled, putting the tablet to her side, before removing her glasses, placing them in a pouch.

"I didn't know you wore reading glasses."

She laughed. "I don't, those glasses are so I can see things from a distance. Mostly using laptops, computers, gaming or watching TV." She stretched her arm. "I'd be lost without them."

"So, you're short-sighted then?"

She shrugged. "Pretty much."

Lance tilted his head. "Is it difficult? Wearing glasses like that?"

"A bit," she admitted. "Worst thing that happens is I get a bit of a headache if I wear them for too long. But hey, at least I can see. I can't see shit without them, just a bunch of blobs. And don't get me started on reading signs at a distance. But, at the same time, it was an inevitably."

"You realise the more you wear those glasses, the more you'll need them, until eventually you'll have to wear them full-time."

"Oh, I know."

He blinked. "That's not a turn-off for you?"

"Not really. It'll probably take another few years before it gets that bad. I've already been wearing them for about five years now, I've gotten used to it."

"Well I must say, you look rather studious wearing them." He offered.

A small blush appeared on her cheeks, rather faint. "Oh stop, you."

Casting a glance at her reading tablet, he caught a glimpse of the cover of what she had been reading. A red cover, featuring a few people on it, but more significantly, a skeleton. He approached the tablet, picking it up in his hands, seeing the title; Skulduggery Pleasant: Bedlam.

 He approached the tablet, picking it up in his hands, seeing the title; Skulduggery Pleasant: Bedlam

Needless to say, the cover looked interesting to him.

Seeing this, Krystal looked up, tilting her head. "You read?"

He shrugged. "It depends on the book." He handed her the tablet. "What's this one about?"

Her ear flicked. "It's a long story, about twelve books worth."