Chapter 1

From my bed, I leaped up, gasping for air. My head spun and my stomach felt twisted. When I glanced around, I saw Josie sleeping nearby. I slowly got up in an attempt not to wake her. While sitting on her couch, I tried to remember what had happened. Rubbing my temples, I tried to get rid of the splitting headache. Steps were heard behind me and arms encircled me. The faint sound of Josie's breathing could be heard as I leaned back.

"Are you ok?" she whispered in my ear. Her worried voice was clear to hear.

"Just nightmares Jo. That lovely headache that follows," I softly reply.

"Wanna go see if my mom can get something for it? "Josie asked, still behind the couch, playing with my hair.

"Let her sleep. Lexa has been stressing her out. She needs to sleep more than I do." I say to her, looking up at her. "Light a candle or something, it's dark in here"

"Ryker you need to sleep too," she says to me while lighting a candle in the room's corner.

"We are not telling your moms about my nightmares. You promised," I say as I watch her walk back over to me.

"Ry, this is getting worse. Someone's gonna find out when you pass out in the middle of training or something" She slightly raises her voice, trying to make a point.

"No one's gonna find out, Josette. They still haven't and my parents have been dead for 6 years." I look at her. Her green eyes met my blue ones. She was worried. That was easy to see.

"I doubt that. '' I heard the third voice coming from the doorway. There was standing Aden, Josies older brother.

"Didn't know you were standing there Aden," I said quietly

"Almost like that was the point, Ryker." He said, walking over and sitting down next to me. Josie sitting down on the other side of the couch.

"Look, I can handle it. I have been for a while now, anyway. I don't need help," I say to both of them.

"Ryker, we see it. My mom is literally a doctor, she knows." Aden said, leaning forward, trying to read my face. I looked at Josie. Her face looked like she was hiding something from me.

"You told her; didn't you?" I said to her, she stayed silent for a minute, in that minute the room was tense. She looked up at me and shook her head.

"They were going to find out eventually. You suck at hiding the fact that you barely sleep at night" Aden says, defending his little sister.

"Plus you're going back to Ton DC today Ry. They need to know so then Octavia and Lincoln can help you" Josies says while rubbing her thumb across the side of my cheek. I pull away rushing upstairs to the highest balcony on the tower. Sitting up on the tower, I had a place to think. I sat there watching the sunrise as I thought about my nightmares and what I was going to do with them. I thought about how Josies getting more and more worried, I even thought about telling my adoptive parents Octavia and Lincoln.