Heir To His Soul (Patrick x Azura)

Knock Knock Knock

Immediately,  I'm brought back to reality, having still been weeping for the past couple of hours or so.

Get up Patrick. You can do this. You're the Grandmaster of the Frostbourne.

Knock Knock Knock

You have to stay strong. The people of  Frostbourne are counting on you. Stop crying! You can cry when you're dead.

Knock Knock Knock Knock Knock.

For goodness sake Patrick, get a grip. You have a job to do. Azura would be so disappointed seeing you like this.

As the thought of Azura pops in my mind, I recall the memory of her dropping from the sky, unconscious. The vast amounts of blood she lost, bleeding out from a head wound she got at some point. I had made a vow to keep my lover safe, but had failed miserably.

She almost died Patrick. Your only love almost died because of  your idiocy. You're nothing a total disgrace to the Overworld.

"Sire Patrick? I have the casualty report." Hilda announced, her voice coming in muffled through the heavy wooden door.

Well. Here we go Pat. Now put up a brave front for once you teary eyed blockhead.

"Of course Hilda," I say, trying to keep the agony and hopelessness out of my voice. "Come in please."

As she walks in, I notice the crestfallen look scribbled across her entire face. Oh boy...

"I'll summarize the report Sire. Of all the troops we deployed to the Far Plains, only about 30% made it back. Of course, some infantry are still trickling in after being separated during the retreat, but it's unlikely to cross even 35%." She said.

I'm in complete disbelief. I knew that the casualty rate was going to be horrific, but I had never expected for the numbers to surge that high. A question forms in my head, something that I've been extremely hesitant to ask, something that I've been wanting to know for quite some time.

"What about the bandits? Did Daryll and his team make it back?" I voice out worriedly. I notice Hilda's posture droop a little, and prepare myself for the worst.

"None Sire. Although some of the Bandits could still be out there, we have survivors confirming that Daryll was crushed by one of our downed airships."

I nod defeatedly. What was supposed to be a resounding victory for us turned into anything but. With Rain and Stella still missing, and probably dead, there's no way I'm going to mount any offense.

"Thank you Hilda. You may leave now." I say, turning around to face the window so that she wouldn't see the new barrage of tears forming.

"Sire." She acknowledges, before leaving, gently closing the door behind her.

I quickly wipe away the droplets that managed to escape, before turning to look at one of the few photographs on the desk. Me and Azura. We were posing together, against the starry sky, so carefree and oblivious of the dangers the world could hold.

Oh Azura...I really do miss you...

Having been hit by a bolt of lightning, the doctors had decided it was best if she was kept under observation for some time, despite her protests of insisting that she well, leaving me alone with my worries.

Alright Patrick. You've mourned enough. Time to go to work.

I start going through the list, making notes of those who were dead, the leadership roles that needed to be filled, the number of squads that I needed to combine and regroup.