Pains of the Past

Start from the beginning

The kitten was meowing longingly at the fading house behind them.

Riley snorted. "I'll talk to him. Tonight," he stated. "You deserve answers just as much as I do."

Ella looked away, focusing on the ground ahead of her.

"That's if you can get any out of him."

*****

Ella flopped down on her bed, feeling the weight of her body sink deep into the sheets. She was happy to be off that cot. It has been less than twenty four hours since she was in her house, but it had felt like an eternity. She felt like she hadn't had a moment to think.

The bed completely supported her now. She could let go of the tension, at least for a moment. And she had the perfect way to do that.

She sunk deeper as she thought back on the sweet kiss she had shared with Father Paul last night. Once she had grown weary, he had picked her up and carried her to her bed, planting a kiss on her forehead before leaving her to a restless sleep.

He was a safe haven for her. The way his hand cupped her face, and the way he softly chewed her lip, and the way he held her, she could sink into his arms for the rest of her life. Stare into his ebony eyes forever. Smell the soft sent of morning dew that wafted around him for an eternity.

Everyone would be attending Mass tomorrow. After all that had happened with Leeza, she knew people would want a taste of the miracles he had to offer. She decided to go as well. It would give her an excuse to see him.

*****

*knock, knock*

Ella's slumber was interrupted by the unpleasant sound of knocking at her door. She pulled herself out of bed with a groan as it continued.

She looked out the window at the evening sky. Seems she had slept her whole day away. And she didn't regret it at all. She needed a deep, peaceful rest like that.

She walked lazily towards the door, well aware she looked like a mess and opened it to find Leeza smiling up wide at her.

"If it isn't little Leeza?" She replied with a wig her own, letting her walk in.

Leeza walked into her house and looked around in amazement. "I've never been in here before..." she sighed.

Ella nodded. "No I suppose you never have."

She looked at the girl, standing on her legs again. It's been a long time since she'd seen her stand.

"Els!" She said happily, running into Ella's arms. Ella hugged back tightly.

"Leeza it's been so long since I could properly hug you!" Ella replied after a time pulling away and wiping a tear from her eye.

Ella used to babysit Leeza, when she was younger. They had formed such a strong bond, even though Leeza was only 7, the last time she had seen her.

"I know! I've missed you so much," Leeza responded wiping away her on tear. "I just haven't felt like myself in so long, and a huge part of me was you! You were always there for me when my parents couldn't be."

Ella nodded, sitting down on the couch, Leeza sitting across from her.

"I just wanted you to have someone in your corner, when your parents couldn't be there. And that offer still stands," Ella told her.

Leeza smiled and nodded. "That's...well that's part of the reason I came. I need advice."

Ella looked at her with a sense of understanding, sitting back and listening to what she had to say.