Budding under protection of the clouds

Lan Qiren knocked on the door of the Jingshi and looked sideways at Wei Wuxian who was standing a little behind him and looking grim but determined. His face way tense just as the rest of his body, his eyebrows were drawn tightly together and he was pale aside for a few red blotches from the crying he had done moments ago. His eyes were also rimmed red and swelled. His hands were balled into fists by his sides and he was nervously biting his lower lip.

All in all, he looked awful and Lan Qiren was afraid of Lan Wangji's reaction at seeing his loved one looking like this.

He was still quite shaken from the emotional and self-blaming outburst he had to deal with when he had told Wei Wuxian about Lan Wangji's punishment. Although the truth about the whole matter of the Yiling Patriarch not being an evil demonic cultivator who was building an army to take over the cultivation world had come to light over a month ago, Wei Wuxian still seemed to feel guilty about everything he had been forced to do and become. And he had apparently blamed himself for Lan Wangji's punishment as well.

In truth, Lan Qiren should have never been this harsh with his own nephew, now, only too late, he realized that. He had sentenced Lan Wangji to 33 strikes with the discipline whip and three years of seclusion in the cave under the Cold spring. He also told him to copy the Gusu Lan sect rules so he would remember that he should not associate with evil and never again stop be filial by standing against the elders of his own sect.

Now, Lan Qiren was berating himself, he should have listened to his nephew who had tried to explain things during his punishment and had actually told them about what had been happening in the Burial Mounds. But no, Lan Qiren would not listen to him and he had to find out the harsh way during laying siege on the Yiling Patriarch. Be it not for A-Yuan, they would have committed a slaughter of innocent lives without a second thought, manipulated by rumours instead of thinking for themselves.

Yes, Lan Qiren was feeling ashamed of himself for more than one reason. It should be him copying the rules to no end so he would stop being so prejudiced and would remember that he should be benevolent, have an open mind and most importantly, think before acting and always investigate the whole picture before condemning someone. The Gusu Lan sect had been founded around the principles for love for all living beings and respect and protection of those who needed it. It seemed like he had forgotten those values while being blinded by his own preconceptions.

It was Lan Wangji who had reminded him of those and he had paid a great price for that. He was now laying in bed, his back shredded to a bloody mess and not being able to even breathe without being in terrible pain. He needed assistance in even the simplest tasks and his recovery would be extremely slow even with his strong golden core. Lan Qiren could only hope that there would not be any lasting damage or consequences, he did not know if he would ever be able to look his nephew in the eyes if that would turn out to be the case.

And now, he was bringing a very distressed Wei Wuxian to his doorstep and risking so that Lan Wangji's state would worsen. He was such a terrible uncle, was he not? He should have stood by his family and protected those closest to him and instead, all he was doing was hurting them and being unnecessarily strict on them while not respecting their own opinions at all.

He should actually learn from Wei Wuxian in this aspect for the boy had done all that at a great personal cost and risk. The so called evil demonic cultivator was actually more noble and righteous than Lan Qiren himself. That statement would have been laughable if it was not true.

Lan Qiren did not have any more time to dwell in his regrets and self-reflection because the door of the Jingshi opened before him and he was staring at a tired and worried looking Lan Xichen. An air of sickness came out from the room behind him and Lan Qiren shuddered. He had never known the Jingshi this dark, closed off and not smelling of flowers.