"Good luck," she grinned before rushing off and sitting in the stands. 

I blinked and cleared my head of all thoughts before stepping into the rink, rolling the hockey stick between my hands, going over, and taking my position. All other thoughts have to wait right now. We have a game to win. 

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

I could hear the five-second countdown as I swung the hockey stick and sent the puck over to Christian. I know it's harder for him to score, but he has to try taking that puck forward. I got close enough to the net with three seconds remaining and caught the puck as it slid over the ice, hitting my skate. I hit it as hard as I could, aiming for the net, and scored the final point. We were winning anyway. 

The buzzer sounded a second after I scored and I almost fell while Christian, Logan, Cody, and Lucas all surrounded me, yelling and trying to tackle me. 

I let out a laugh, pushing them all off. "Get off of me." 

Michael skated over too and all of us took our helmets off, celebrating our win. We were officially announced as the winners and we briefly shook hands with the other team and then started to leave the rink. 

"Why don't we let Romeo here leave the rink first?" Logan snickered. 

I rolled my eyes at him and skated out, spotting Demi stand up from her seat and run down and over. I was grinning like a maniac. I barely offered people a smile and I was grinning for her. She's really doing something to me. 

She squealed loudly, meeting me at the opening to the rink. "Oh, my God! Oh, my God! Oh, my God!" she exclaimed, going on her toes and throwing her arms around me. I laughed, hugging her back. "That was the first ever game of this season, you won!" She pulled back to look at me. She seemed happier than me. She leaned forward but I pulled back. She frowned in confusion. I took the hat off, giving her a pointed look. "Oh, right," she chuckled. I leaned down and she came up, her heels lifting off the ground as I kissed her. She grabbed my jersey, pulling me closer. 

The commentators sitting in the booth were talking about us but I wasn't paying the most attention. Until I pulled away and actually heard what they said. "It seems like Vince and Demi have won the public's hearts, not just tonight, but with all the glimpses we've seen of their romance!" 

"The public has seen their relationship through paparazzi snippets but it seems enough to fuel their fandom!" 

"The public is in full support of their relationship and some people are even talking about the two getting married one day!" 

Both Demi and I frowned in confusion before she laughed softly and I rolled my eyes. 

"In the exclusive interview Hunter did with City Scoop, we saw how he defended his girlfriend and the public just swooned! This seems like it'll last doesn't it?" 

"It sure does. Seems like fate, huh?" 

It sure does. 

"Not to pop your bubble, but Mr. Hunter, you're blocking the way," Logan scoffed. 

I sighed, glaring at him and then stepping out of the rink, letting the others pass. Michael glanced at me knowingly and then quietly followed the others into the locker room. I lingered behind, taking my gloves off and watching Demi. 

"What?" she asked, laughing nervously and taking the hat from me, putting it back on. 

I snatched it back off and she clicked her tongue in frustration, reaching for it. I lifted my arm up and she sent me a pointed look. 

"What are you doing?" she whined, jumping up but still failing to reach it. I watched in amusement and she groaned and huffed. "Why are you being so—" 

I cut her off with another kiss. I brought my arm down and she grabbed the hat but she didn't snatch it away or break the kiss. She came up on her toes and her arms went around my neck, pulling me in closer. 

I smiled against her lips, forgetting everything else. The game, the team, coach, the press, the pictures, I forgot everything when I kissed her. 

How can this be fake and still feel so real? 

It can't. It has to be real. It is. I wasn't supposed to but I did, I fell for her. 

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 30

This is the first real slow burn I've written I mean we're at chapter 30 and they STILL haven't confessed, Jesus

next chapter: tickets