ɴᴇᴠᴇʀᴍᴏʀᴇ , ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏɴᴇ

Start from the beginning

       "Eris," Zel's voice began. Eris didn't move at all. "Will you actually deliver this human's head to the fire witch?"

       Was that a tinge of uneasiness in Zel's voice? The Harbinger scoffed at it as she kept her gaze on the horizon. "Are you concerned about him?"

       A few moments of silence passed between the two. "When you told me to find the human, you said that the shield was your only priority. We never discussed harming him."

       Where was this weakness coming from? The reveal made the Harbinger's blood boil. If one couldn't be strong to make threats of pain and brawls, then one should stay in the shadows. Zel was certainly not a weak elf. Gods above, the elf was able to create harsh dents and deep slices into the almost-impenetrable armor that Eris donned when they sparred at the Armstrong Manor. The elf had the grace of a soaring phoenix and the ferocity of a dragon when it came to fighting. When strong warriors displayed weakness, it only meant they weren't cut out to be remembered.

       "You know what Cassian has done to me. You know what his family has done to me. If I just sit by and allow their actions to settle without retaliation, then they have won. I would rather die than have that happen." The Harbinger finally said.

       She had satisfied her need for revenge in various ways against the Zhang family. It was difficult in the early days of being a Champion of the Arcane Order. Out of the other champions she had trained with, only Cassian Zhang was the closest to her in terms of skills. She had no increased durability and speed like Arius. She couldn't harness magic and manipulate the mind like Victoria. She did, however, know how to play dirty. While she knew how to play dirty and get into her enemy's head without using magic, it always seemed like Cassian held the upper hand.

       The mere thought of Cassian defeating her in various spars managed to irritate the Harbinger.

       "I know," Zel sighed, and the Harbinger could tell her friend was defeated for now. "We should prepare for the fire witch's arrival. I have a bad feeling about this meeting."

       By the time Evangeline Zhang arrived at the bluff, Eris had lost her patience for the witch. The sun was hidden behind the curtain of clouds and waiting for the witch felt like a millennium had passed. No matter-the shield would be in Eris' possession soon enough and she would be satisfied for now.

       "Hello, little star," The Harbinger greeted once Lina arrived at the bluff. There was distance separating the witch from the Harbinger, but Eris wasn't bothered by that. She would close that distance by charging and fighting Lina if she proved to be difficult. She saw the witch's hands clench upon hearing the nickname she always used, but to Eris, the name was simply one used to rile her enemy. To her right, Cassian remained on his knees with his head pulled back, exposing his neck to Zel's curved blade.

       "Looks like your sister actually came, human." Zel chuckled, and Eris heard a gasp come from the captive. She only assumed the blade cut into the traitor's skin, which impressed her. Her friend had the taste for bloodshed for once, pleasing her. Truth be told, she was becoming tired of the worried warrior and desired the one who fought with no fears.

       There was a complex look on Lina's face, one that Eris couldn't figure out. Was she angry, worried, or simply good at looking mad all the time? It still surprised the Harbinger-she knew young and stupid Evangeline with stars in her eyes and mischief radiating around her. Now, she was met with a witch hardened by centuries of bloodshed and magic. Perhaps that was one of the only similarities between them.

       "You actually care about him, Lina? He's nothing but a foolish servant. He thought he could get away with stealing my shield," The Harbinger summoned her blades back into her gloved hands. She was tired of waiting. If Lina wanted to be stubborn and hide the shield, then so be it. She would find it and she would spare no mercy. "Where is it?"