Chapter Twenty-Nine

Depuis le début

"It probably won't be 'good', but it'll certainly be a time, eh?" Trevor nudged you with a twinkle in his eye as you entered the petting zoo.

There were farm animals littered all over the place coming up to people and begging for food. The group you were with stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the family units this place was targeted towards.

"Owie!" Wade exclaimed. You looked at him and saw that a goat had nipped a hole in the front of his shoe and was trying to lick his toe.

"At least somebody likes you," Trevor snickered.

"Look at this lil' fella." Ron went up to the goat harassing Wade and gave him some friendly pets. "Just one step away from being on a plate."

"Ron!" Trevor barked. "Don't talk about our little friend like that." He crouched down beside the goat and stroked the side of the goat's cheek while planting a sweet kiss on its forehead. "Don't let him get to you, Preston."

"Did you just name that goat Preston?" you asked with a laugh.

Trevor came in for a hug between Preston and himself. "No, he told me that was his name."

Preston gave a bleat of happiness and rested his head on Trevor's shoulder while looking at you with rectangular pupils.

Wade had wandered away and found some pigs and sheep. "Over here!" he called.

Trevor reluctantly let go of Preston and walked over to where Wade was. To his pleasant surprise, Preston followed him. "See? He loves me."

"He certainly does, Trevor," Ron agreed. "Who could hurt a sweet little face like that?"

"Goat!" A shrill voice sounded from a toddler who broke from his mother's grip to give Preston some pets.

"His name is Preston," Wade said. Trevor rested a hand back onto Preston while the toddler pet him.

The toddler pet Preston while looking at Trevor's hand curiously. "F... u... c... k. Wha's that spell?"

"A word you should never say," Trevor warned with a frown. "I said it in front of my mother once and she locked me in the kitchen sink cupboard for three days."

Your stared mouth agape at Trevor, not sure if he was being serious or making a story up so there wasn't a three year old running around the zoo screaming 'fuck' at the top of his lungs.

The toddler's eyes widened. "Oh. Bye." He quickly left.

You looked at Trevor, who seemed unfazed by the confession he'd just made. "Were you being serious about that?"

"What?" Trevor asked.

"The whole being locked in a cupboard for three days thing you said to that kid." Your brows were creased in concern.

Trevor shrugged. "Yeah, why?" He didn't seem too bothered about it, instead focusing on finding Preston's itchy spots.

"That's really messed up that it happened to you," you said. "Like, that's not normal."

Trevor sighed and looked up at you with an annoyed expression. "My mother did her fucking best. I love her," he spat before returning his attention to Preston. 

"Are you talking about your mom, Trevor?" Ron asked.

"Choose your next words very carefully, Ronald," Trevor warned. 

"Oh, I was just going to say I thought she was a wonderful woman. I met her last time she came into town, remember?" Ron said with a smile. 

Trevor laughed. "Well, she isn't. Nice try, though." Ron slumped a little in defeat at Trevor's words.