three

Chapter 3

Noelle

Bing.

"Yes. Next time try to be a little less obvious." Well, look who's talking.

I turn around and storm away, leaving the elevator and him far behind. Not daring to look back, I make my way straight to the bar. I need to clear my head after that intense encounter.

The skinny bald-headed barman stares at me as I approach, raising an eyebrow. His gaze makes me feel uncomfortable.

"Well, hello there, gorgeous. What can I get you? A Cosmopolitan? My phone number?" he says, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

I roll my eyes in annoyance. Really?

"Neither, just an orange juice, please," I reply, trying to dismiss his advances.

"You want to think about that again? I live not far from here. We could go there when I finish working. Moving the afterparty to my place? Mmh, what do you think, Baby?" he persists, clearly not getting the hint.

That's what infuriates me the most. I did not flirt with him whatsoever. Is it so hard for men to understand that if a woman shows no interest, she really is just not interested?

"Oh, believe me, I'm very sure. So will you get me my drink or should I have a little chat with your boss? I wonder what he thinks about his employees harassing female guests," I respond firmly, making it clear that I won't tolerate such behavior.

His face falls, and he quickly gets me my drink, handing it over without another word before turning to attend to the next waiting guest.

Good. He got the message.

I give him a glare and then turn on my heels, making my way to have a look at the paintings. As I navigate through the crowd, an older man approaches me, and I politely introduce myself, engaging in a brief conversation before finally finding a less crowded area.

Sipping on my orange juice, I take in my surroundings, impressed by the atmosphere and the artwork on display.

Wow!

Paintings.

Breathtaking pieces are scattered everywhere you turn.

I want all of them! Not that I could afford any of them. I take a closer look. Nope, I definitely cannot. One piece alone is worth more than my entire monthly rent.

I laugh, and suddenly, it feels as if something is pulling me in his direction. I spot him in the crowd.

He is looking at me.

He commands the entire room, exuding immense confidence. And I am not the only one who is captivated by him.

A crowd of people surrounds him, yet he shows no interest in any of them. His focus remains solely on me.

I desire him. Damn it.

I find myself still standing in the middle of the room, gazing at him and embarrassing myself once again. Frustrated with my own actions, I attempt to divert my attention to something else. I refuse to allow a man I have just met to unsettle me to such an extent.

I am a strong, independent woman who will not lose control over her emotions simply because she finds a man attractive.

I've got this.

I now find myself standing before one of the smaller pieces, and even up close, it is undoubtedly my favorite. It portrays an explosion of colors, with blue dominating the entire painting. I adore it.