Chapter 6: Jana

Jana's POV

Carys and I sit in her room while I pack a few things into a bag to take into the wild. After realising what Kincaid has done to my old pack, we made a plan to go to the camp to see if there's anything we can do to help them.

"I have to stay here. My dad needs me," she's still tearful. "We should both stay."

"My pack needs me, I have to go."

"Jana, I don't want you going out there," she takes my bag from my hand and throws it aside, "This Kincaid guy could target you and Rhydian. You said yourself he has some crazy vendetta against you guys, not just Wolfbloods. It's personal to him," she squeezes my hands, "And you can bet that he's even more mad after Rhydian and the others escaped for a second time. He's not going to let this go."

I pick up my bag, "We've stopped him before, we can do it again." I know she's worried, I am too. But we don't have a choice, we have to do this. "They're still my pack, I have help to them."

She sits me down on her bed, "Trust me, I know what it's like to have people to take care of. But my dad could still die, and that's already too much."

"Cary's, I-"

"No, listen, because Kincaid is not the only danger out there. Look, I was wrong to blame your pack and I'm sorry, but they're not themselves right now. They could hurt you like they did to my dad, or worse. Please Jana, I don't want to lose you."

The last thing I want to do is upset Carys, but I can't abandon my pack either, "I'm strong and I won't be alone, okay? Nothing bad will happen to me. I promise, and I love how much you care about me, but I need you to understand that I have people relying on me, Ceri and Gerwyn are the Alphas, yes, but they're not themselves, so the responsibility falls to me, and I don't take it lightly."

She looks at me, her nose scrunched up and the tears begin to fall.

"Please trust me, Carys."

She nods and sniffles, "Fine, yeah, I get that," she reaches her arms around my neck and hugs me tight, "Just be careful."

We go back out to join everyone, "Tom and Shannon will be here with you," I tell Carys. I call over Shannon, "Phone Mr Jeffries, tell him we won't be in, but don't tell him too much," I turn back to Carys, "I'll be fine. I'll be with Rhydian and the others, we'll call you," I kiss her on the cheek before turning to leave.

Carys grabs my hand, "Wait," she turns to face Tom and Shannon, "Shannon, can you keep an eye on him?" She asks, and Shannon nods. "I'm coming with you."

"Carys, no," I say.

"There's nothing more I can do for my dad if I stay here. But I can help you, so I'm coming. Stopping Kincaid is the only way to help him and any other Wolfblood he's hurt," she says firmly. I know better than to question her.

"We have to go now," I say.

"We'll stay too, someone needs to protect the territory if Kincaid's soldiers make a reappearance," Daniel says, putting his arm around his wife.

"Thank you," Carys says.

We join hands and sprint out to the woods to catch up with Rhydian, Maddy, Aran and my dad. I need to get far enough away to use Eolas so we can track them down. We run through the leaves, entering parts of the woods even I haven't been through before.

"Here," I stop.

"I'll try too," she says.

We connect to nature, and using every ounce of my being I search through the woods. It doesn't take long to find Rhydian, I see him running, then Maddy, Aran and dad.