♫𝐹𝑙𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑠 𝑊𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝐴 𝑆𝑖𝑑𝑒 𝑂𝑓 𝑇𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑠 | 𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡 1♫

Start from the beginning

"Why hello, sweetie! So nice to see you!" She pulled Y/N into a gentle hug, in which she kindly returned. "I hope you've been well lately. Oh, silly me. I saw you yesterday! But, I still mean what I said."

Y/N smiled for the first time today, and mumbled tersely, "Nice to see you, Aunt Gretchen."

She patted her on the back, and stepped back. "You must be famished after a long day of school work. Would you like your favorite? Blueberry scones?" She offered.

The thought of eating sickened Y/N, and she replied, "No, thank you. I don't feel that well." Her eyes diverted to another part of the room, and she froze. A boy around her age sat in one of the white booths, an apron with the logo of the café rested over his body. He was hunched over in the seat with a book in his hand, completely engrossed in the story the pages told. It was nothing unusual for Aunt Gretchen to hire new people to work at her place often, but this kid in particular caught her eye.

His hair was shoulder's length long, and slightly covered his defined face. It was a dark brown; almost black. The sunlight that flooded into the room lit the ends of his up in a dark orange. Oh, his face. His eyes were a bright, forest green, and they contrasted with the color of his hair drastically. Though the softness of his eyes looked kind and delicate, they would not distract one from the sharpness of his facial features.

Y/N found the boy appealing to the eye, beautiful even. Her staring stopped when Aunt Gretchen pointedly cleared her throat. "Seems like you've noticed my new employee. Got hired yesterday morning. He's a sweet kid, I assure you; but a little too quiet for my liking. Maybe you can get him to talk?"

The girl gazed up at the lady, then looked at her feet to hide the blush that dusted her cheeks. The thought of her talking to the boy caused her to become nervous. She never really talked to anyone, so trying to socialize with someone made her palms sweat. "O-Okay.."

"Good! I will make you two coffees. He's on his break, so you have time to introduce yourselves." Her pastel pink slippers padded against the tile floor as she walked into the back kitchen, leaving Y/N standing in the middle of the café.

Her nerves spiraled out of control, but her feet took control and made her approach the boy carefully. Don't mess up. Don't mess up. You always mess up with talking, just stay calm this time. She reached the booth, and she took a deep breath. She was surprised the boy didn't notice her yet.

"H-Hello. Is it okay if I sit h-here?" Y/N muttered slowly, and she mentally cursed herself for stuttering. The green eyed boy looked up at her, and smiled slightly. He gestured for her to sit down in the seat across from him.

So far so good. She shook as she sat down carefully, and scooted towards the window. "Oh, uh thanks." Her eyes didn't look up at him, and she picked at her nails nervously. "Gretchen told me you were hired yesterday. I wanted to say hello."

He put his book down, and sat up straight. "Well, isn't that nice of you." Oh my god. His voice. His voice was a bit higher pitched than other boy's she had talked to in the past, but was still low. It was soothing and reassuring, and made Y/N's nerves calm down. "My name is Aidan." What a pretty name.

"Oh. That's a nice name." Her eyes widened at her impulsive statement. "I mean- no, like. It's a cool name. Just cool. T-That's all. Didn't mean nice-"

Her babbling was cut off with Aidan giggling, and her heartbeat sped up significantly. She always messed up. Always. "Don't worry. It's all fine. What's yours?"

The girl never took a liking to her name. It always sounded bland to her, and everytime she introduced herself to someone, they would always say 'Hm. An unoriginal name, don't you think?' And the girl would always reluctantly agree. "Y/N... It isn't a baffling name just..." she drifted off.

"What a lovely name. Y/N.. It's quite fitting." Y/N looked up at Aidan, and smiled fully. No one has ever told her such sweet words. A dark blush ran across her cheeks, like she was not blushing already, and ran her fingers through her H/C hair.

"T-Thanks. That means a lot, really." She said to the boy. "So, I never really saw you around. I mean, it's a small town. Everyone knows everyone."

"Oh yeah. I just moved from Los Angeles yesterday. My parents found new jobs here. I find this place to be quite nice already." He looked at Y/N with a beaming look.

"It is a pretty nice place, yeah." Despite the horrid people here. Her fantasy within the café soon ended when reality of her home and school life hit her like a brick wall, and her mood worsened in an instant.

Aidan seemed to take notice of the sudden change in her mood, and his eyebrows furrowed with worry. "Hey, are you alright Y/N?" He leaned forward in his seat, studying her features.

"Hm? No, I'm alright." Her lips turned up in a fake smile. "Don't worry." The old 'fake smile' trick always worked with people. It was so easy to hide her pain behind a mask, but it didn't seem to work with Aidan somehow.

His eyes sparkled with emotion. "I know something is wrong. Even though we just met, I'm here to listen if you need to talk, okay?"

Oh. That caught Y/N completely off guard. No one has ever told her such words, let alone even cared. Every time she had tried to vent to someone, they would dismiss her with a terse nod, or an 'okay'. No one ever cared, until now. It all seemed like a messed up dream, like her mind was playing a cruel trick on her; taunting her by saying 'You wish this was real, don't you? You wish someone cared?' Though, maybe it was real.

"W-What?" Y/N stuttered, making sure that she heard Aidan right. "Do you mean it?"

He sighed, and ran his hands through his long, dark hair. "Do you want to-"

The conversation was cut short as Aunt Gretchen walked up to the booth with an apologetic smile. "Sorry Y/N, but Aidan's break is over."

The two looked at each other for a solid second, then Aidan idly shuffled out of the seat, the leather creaking quietly beneath him. Aunt Gretchen made her way back to the kitchen with crossed arms, leaving them alone once again.

Before Aidan went to catch up with her, Y/N got out of her seat and stopped him. "Wait, just one question."

"Yeah?" He responded.

"What days do you work here? I come here everyday, so it would be nice to know." The book he was reading was still on the table, and Y/N politely handed it to him.

"Every weekday besides Friday's. So, I'll be here often." He chuckled.

"Oh. So I will be seeing you a lot then. If that's alright with you?"

The boy blushed slightly, and rubbed the back of his neck. The sight of him becoming flustered gave Y/N confidence. "Of course. It's nice to already talk to someone that I can consider a friend."

The light of the sun that painted the room a golden yellow faded away to a dull purple. One by one, the street lights slowly flickered on, signaling that it was time for Y/N to go back home. Which was the worst part of her day. She took notice of the changes, and frowned; her fingers skated across her face as she rubbed it with a sigh. "I guess I will see you tomorrow then, Aidan."

He nodded with a beam, and bid the saddened girl a quiet farewell, walking back to the kitchen. Her feet slowly shuffled backwards, and she turned away to head for the glass entrance door. The feeling of finally having someone to talk to made Y/N begin to have hope. After all the years of having no friends, only having Aunt Gretchen to talk to, she can finally find relief. Maybe one day they would-

"Wait, Y/N."

❤︎❤︎❤︎

Ngl I'm proud of this one. The awkwardness is SO CUTE!! Anyway, I hope you liked it. It took me a while to write. There will be a part two! <3