Chapter 2

Zara’s P.O.V.

*Flashback*

“This conversation is over when I say it’s over.” Dad pulled mom’s arm so she was facing him now.

“Let go of me!” Mom demanded, trying to get out of dad’s grip but struggled. 

“No, we are going to finish this conversation.” Dad said, still holding onto mom’s arm.

“Well then I guess you’re going to be talking to yourself because I’m going to bed and you can sleep on the couch.” Mom told him. 

She finally broke free of him and started walking towards the bedroom door. 

“DON’T WALK AWAY FROM ME!” Dad screamed.

Mom finally reached the bedroom but suddenly dad pulled her arm yet again and they were now facing each other once more. Dad raised his hand slowly and slapped my mom across the face. I almost screamed but I knew what would happen if dad knew I was watching.

I didn’t notice my older brother watching them fight as well. He ran out of his room crying and hugging mom. She was on the floor clutching her cheek that dad had slapped. It was getting really red; he must have slapped her even harder than he usually does.

Dad’s face was full of horror. But at the same time he looked furious.

I closed my bedroom door quietly and gently then climbed back into my bed. 

After watching what had just happened, I shivered a bit. My eyes were getting watery.  I fell asleep crying that night.

And that was definitely not the first time. 

Don’t worry, I thought, he’ll change.

Boy, was I wrong. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It was finally Monday again. I woke up and rubbed my eyes. They were a bit damp. I probably fell asleep crying again. I should really stop thinking about the past. 

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to take a quick shower. 

After my shower, I got dressed and brushed my teeth then walked into the kitchen and prepared my lunch. 

My older brother Brett woke up and saw me in the kitchen. 

“Fall asleep crying again last night?” He asked me, leaning on the kitchen doorway with his arms crossed and a worried look on his face. He probably noticed that my eyes were a bit red.

“Yup…” I replied. 

“You’ve got to stop doing that Zar, dad and mom never hated you, they loved you very much.” He told me.

“I don’t know… I just feel like they ‘left’ because of me.” I said, sighing after.

“Of course not, please don’t think that. Now hurry up, you’re going to be late.” He told me.

I finished preparing my lunch and put it in my backpack. I rushed to the door with my jacket and left to go to school.

I pretty much zoned out at every period. I couldn’t wait to go home. 

The only thing that made me happy in school was lunch, my friends and Elijah.

Ryder used to make me happy as well but after what he had done, I never wanted to speak to him or look at him ever again. I just still can’t believe it…

Elijah was pretty much the most attractive guy in my class. He had blackish/brownish somewhat straight hair that he pushed to the left. His eyes were the most beautiful shade of brown/green and his smile was adorable since he had mini dimples at the corners of his mouth and straight teeth. His laugh was the cutest thing ever and he was so sweet. We’ve been in the same class since kindergarten. I vented to him and told him everything. He’s been there for me since day one. Only some people know we talk to each other but I’ve liked him since grade 5. 

He’ll probably never like me since he talks about his crush, Valarie, to me, pretty much every day. She was gorgeous, and perfect. I don’t think she likes me that much since she’s one of the people that know I talk to Elijah. She likes him too, that’s why. Everybody likes her though; every guy wants to date her. But eventually she’ll just date Elijah and they’ll get married and I’ll be forever alone. It’s okay though, Elijah promised me he’d never leave me, no matter what. He knows what I’ve been through and he’d never want to hurt me or lose me. I love him as a best friend but like him as a boyfriend. 

In his eyes, I’ll always just be his best friend, 

nothing more. 

The bell rang and I handed in my book report to Mr. Anderson. I waved goodbye to Elijah and he told me to text him when I got home. I ran out the door and towards Dani’s class. 

Her and my 4 other best friends Summer, Adelaide, Desiree and Evelyn walked out of the room with big smiles on their faces. 

“YAAAAAAAAY! We have that overnight trip tomorrow!” Dani, Summer, Desiree and Evelyn exclaimed in unison. 

“Oh yeah, I can’t wait. At least I have something to look forward to.” I smiled. 

“You guys are lucky, I wish I was going. But it’s okay, I’m going to Wal-Mart today which always makes me happy!” Adelaide giggled. 

 “We really wish you could come with us. Maybe I can pack you in my suitcase!” I laughed. 

“It’s okay, I’d probably get caught and my mom would wonder where I went for 3 days. Also, I get to spend more time with Conrad!” She told us. 

“Ouuuuuuu, that’s true, well we’ll text you guys later, bye!” Dani said, waving bye to our friends and heading straight for the main school doors to go home. 

I waved to our friends and followed Dani.

“I’m really excited for tomorrow. I hope we nail the dance.” I told Dani.

“Same here and we will. We’ve been working on it for about 4 months now. Remember when we hated the fact that we started practicing the dance so early? Tomorrow, it’ll all pay off.” She said to me.

“I know right? I can’t wait for the other dance though. The one on the second night where we get to pretty much party. I hope I get to slow dance with Elijah.” I started blushing. 

“AWWWWWWWWWWWW! I swear you guys are meant to be. Your couple name will be Zelijah or Ellara.” Dani started fangirling. 

I burst into laughter. I loved her names for couples. “Oh gosh Dani, you sure are weird. I just hate the fact that Valarie’s going too.” I said, feeling disappointed. 

“Don’t even worry about her. If she tries to dance with him, just push her aside!” 

“And they say you’re the nice one out of the five of us…” I started laughing again and Dani did too. 

We looked like idiots laughing on the sidewalk, holding our stomachs.

But it was okay because at least I felt a bit of happiness.