V2: Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"Aren't they adorable?" Annabel's smile could be blinding, but then sadness flashed in her face. "I only wish they would have met their father."

Kendra stepped closer, placing a hand on her shoulder and gave it a light squeeze. Annabel forced a smile as she stared at her babies. "Don't worry...I'm okay."

Kendra glanced at her mates to see the concern on their faces for Annabel. She would not be pleased when she knew that a slayer was about to be elected as the humans' representative. And she had every right...they all did.

Evidence pointed at the slayers for the murders of the council members.

A month flew by way too fast. Kendra was excited for Lana's child to be born. She wanted to meet her nephew. Maybe she was buying way too many things, but she couldn't help it. Whenever she saw something adorable, she bought it without second thought.

At the moment, she was in the large mall, helping Lana get a crib for the baby. Lana stared at them, eyes narrowed before glancing at her. "How is Vance doing?"

"I'm sorry, but he still hasn't remembered anything. Aaron has tried to break through the wall in his mind, but if he messes with Vance's mind too often, he can make him grow crazy."

"I understand." Lana placed her hands on her belly. "Kendra, you don't have to follow me everywhere I go...I'm okay."

Kendra smiled. "I'm not going to lie--It was either me or Zane." She shrugged at the astonishment on her sister's face. "After everything, no one should head anywhere alone...It's safer in groups."

"I'm taking this one," she said with a smile as she placed her quivering hands on the wood surface of the crib. Kendra placed her hand over her sister's, knowing well she was trying to not stress herself out too much, but she was still concerned for Vance. Which was understandable. He was the man she loved...It had to be painful to love someone, who didn't remember you at all.

Lana forced a smile, trying to not worry her sister, but her heart was breaking. With every day that passed, she began to lose hope that Vance would ever remember everything. As they headed to pay for all the stuff, Lana paused for a moment. "I think I want the small rocker."

"I'll go get it."

While Kendra got it, Lana began to put the stuff on the conveyor belt. The cashier greeted her a dazzling smile and a good evening. Before Lana could say anything, the person beside her in line said, "I was not aware anyone was allowed here."

It was Lucas's wife.

She propped her hands on her hips. "Ashely, how can you allow such woman in your store? She is the reason my husband wants a divorce."

As Lana glanced around, she realized many stared at her with disgust evident in their eyes, while others avoided looking at her at all.

"Are you going to claim that child is Leonardo's?" She laughed. "Or is the father the pathetic human?" When Lana ignored her, she walked closer and tossed the clothes on the counter to the floor. Now, Lana glared at her, feeling the wolf within rising, craving blood, but Lana folded her fingers into a fist, nails digging into her skin.

"Why did you return to Bevelon? If you think I will allow you to take him from me, you are dead wrong." A growl escaped her lips. "You are not welcomed here."

In the blink of an eye, her face struck the conveyor belt, almost breaking it on impact. Everyone gasped as Kendra snarled, grabbing the woman by the back of the head again. "So easy to prey on someone who can't fight back due to being with child."

The woman jerked away and snarled. "I hope everyone realizes that y'all are unfit to rule over our race. Not only your sister is a homewrecker, but the boy you raised turned out to be a rapist. Even after everything, still you protect him." She wiped the blood from her lips. "But then again, it shouldn't surprise me since you're mated to two men. You're no better than you--" Kendra's fist struck the woman's jaw, silencing her. A snarl escaped her lips as she grabbed the woman by the hair forcing her to meet her gaze.

"Kendra, please." Lana held a hand over her stomach. "This isn't worth it. I've never cared what anyone thinks of me...And I know you don't either. Don't let the anger blind you. You're doing exactly what she wants."

Kendra glanced around before letting the woman go. "Forgive me...I've been moody lately."

Lana arched an eyebrow. "You're always moody."

They headed back to the house. As they walked by each other's side, Kendra stared into the distance, clearly lost in thought. "Are you alright?"

Kendra met her gaze, a smile on her eyes that reached her bright violet eyes that glinted golden against the moonlight. Her smile vanished before something crashed against her, sending her to the ground. Lana moved, but she was held back as multiple male wolves struck her sister over and over.

"Let her go!" Her eyes widened when Leo's wife stood feet from her before striking her across her face. She spat the blood at her face which infuriated even more. After another hit, Lana snarled. "You pathetic bitch! My sister has nothing to do with this!"

She crouched in front of her. "This is message....Wolves all over the world are turning their backs on the royal family...a new leader will rise soon. One who won't bend to the humans' will." Lana glanced at her sister and screamed when one of the males kicked her on the face. Over and over, Lana was beaten. When they released her, she fell to the ground and did her best to protect her bump. She didn't care that she wasn't protecting herself from the multiple blows. All that mattered was her baby.

When she tried to raise her hand, a blade pierced right through her, sinking into the dirt beneath. "Don't you dare use your magic." Those present laughed. "There is someone amongst use with the gift to block other abilities. I knew y'all were nothing without your ability to control elements."

Lana glanced toward her sister, tears streaming down her eyes as the men didn't stop their assault. When they shoved a blade deep into her chest, Kendra screamed at the top of her lungs, which was returned by two howls in the distance. All around, growls and snarls could be heard. They were trying to locate them without sucess.

Could there truly be someone with such gift?

"We need to go now," one of the men said.

When he turned, a blinding light struck him. Flames consumed him leaving nothing behind. Their attackers screeched and by the time she lifted her head, they were all gone. Lana glanced toward Kendra her heart aching as she pulled the dagger out, coughing blood.

As the blurry image became clearer, she realized the soft glowing light came from the gold marking covering every inch of his body. He inched closer and tried to pick her up, but Lana kicked at him and tried to scurry away noting the marks were arrows: a slayer.

The enemy.

But he had saved her life.

She managed to stand just as Kendra did and ran to her side. Both stood ready to attack but both froze and stared in astonishment as the man in front of them became clearer.

Brent.