V2: Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"Annabel, nothing is going to happen to you--"

"How can you be so certain after what happened? They want all royals dead, Kendra...They will come for all of them...including my children...Please. You have to promise me that you'll protect them against everyone if necessary--"

"Annabel, please calm down."

"I can't!"

Aiko rushed into the room and hugged Annabel as she broke down, screaming. Tears trickled down Kendra's cheeks as she witnessed the sight before her. Annabel was completely broken. It was evident that in the end, she truly loved Nicolas.

Once Kendra arrived at the pack house, she headed upstairs to check on Aaron, but didn't find him in the room. When she walked into the study, she found Aaron and Jack watching a hologram of a live interview. The male beside the reporter wore a mask that covered most of his face, except for his blue eyes.

"Even after current events, many humans do not trust the slayers. Some blame your race for the war many years ago. Instead of seeking peace, you sought to rule over the werewolves, which resulted in other races uniting with them against the human race."

The male spoke and Kendra narrowed her eyes, the voice seeming too familiar.

"There are always two sides to every story." He paused, his eyes settling on the camera. "Or will you all deny what you did long ago? Do you recall how many towns were bathed in blood? I do. Fifty. One hundred and sixty-five thousand humans murdered by a group of vampires. All we did, was retaliate in an attempt to end the blood bath." He paused again, eyes glowing a soft golden. "Humans should open their eyes before these beasts destroy us all."

"What exactly is your goal? It's clear that no one wants to start another war."

"We are not declaring war." A grin played on his lips. "All we seek is to protect the human race."

The woman glanced at her notes. "Many think this is pointless because the other leaders would never allow a slayer to sit on one of the council chairs."

"If the humans vote me in, then they can't stop me."

The woman smiled. "In my opinion, it's about time someone was voted into the position who won't bend to their will. Someone who has our best interest."

The hologram stopped.

"Will this be even allowed?" Kendra asked. "Slayers are our enemy, aren't they?"

Aaron stared into the distance. "He is right. If he is voted into the position, we can't do anything."

When Aaron's cellphone rung, he answered and Kendra recognized Luke's voice. Clearly, he had also watched the interview of the slayer who was running for leadership over the humans. It was evident that the rules stated no one could stand in the way of someone chosen by the majority of their race, even if this person was disliked and not trusted by the other members.

After he hung up the phone, it rung again. This time, when he answered, his eyes grew wide. Kendra met his gaze, concern for Annabel and the children consuming her. They rushed out of the room and headed to the mansion. Once they arrived, Aiko greeted them at the front door.

"They were born already...It happened so quickly."

Aaron rushed up the stairs. Kendra followed; Jack a couple of steps behind. When she walked through the opened door, she paused, smiling at the shine in Annabel's eyes as she held two of her babies. The other was deep asleep in Aaron's arms, who had a hint of a smile on his lips. Clearly, the children were a bright light in the mist of the darkness that threatened to feast on them.