23. mission: find nina. complete?

Start from the beginning

"Wait, what did you say?!", I ask with widened eyes, walking up to Gina.

She furrows her brows at me, "Uh- I saw her at the hospital...on...Friday?"

"Gina...what do you mean? Was she in a hospital bed? In the waiting room? At the front des-"

"Gi!", I hear Ej call out.

Gina looks back at him before back at me with an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry, I've gotta go...", she says, walking away.

I stand there in the middle of the hallway, replaying what she told me.

She was at the hospital?!

I feel my heart begin to beat out of my chest as my palms turn sweaty. I run my hands through my hair, walking down the hallway to try and find Kourt, Los, and Seb. But, of course, the bell rings. I sigh in anger as I turn around and walk the opposite way, into my first period class. I take my seat and anxiously bounce my leg up and down.

"Okay class, today I'm giving you a review packet. We have exams coming up these last three weeks of school.", Mr. Mazzara speaks, walking around and handing the packet out.

"You can use your phones to look information up and assist you with the review", he says as he sits at his desk in the front of the classroom.

I silently cheer as I whip my phone out and secretly text them.

{After school}

{After school}

Ricky's pov

It was late at night as I scribble words down in my notebook, trying to comprehend what I'm doing. But, I'm pulled away into my thoughts about Nina. I really...really wish I could just see her right now. My parents were asleep and so were Kourtney, Carlos, and Seb. I was just up finishing homework before I hear a faint knock on the door.

I furrow my brows as I wonder who's knocking on the door at 11pm on a school night. I take my phone out and check the security cameras. When it loads, my eyes widen, and I practically drop my phone on the floor.

"Nina...", I breath.

I jolt up, and quickly but quietly run down the stairs and towards the front door. I unlock it and whip it open, meeting eyes the brunette-haired girl.

***Tw//mentions of panic attacks***

She was pale. Had red, puffy eyes. Her hair was knotted and pulled into a messy bun. The bags under her eyes gave away the fact that she probably hasn't slept in over three days. She seemed to be shaky and anxious. Almost like an anxiety or panic attack?

After a couple seconds of standing there in silence, I notice her hands getting shakier and her breathing becoming short and choppy. She was dazed, staring at the ground. I come back to reality and decide to take action and help. After all...this is what I was trying to go for when I became friends with her again.

I take hold of her wrist and quickly walk her into the house, and up into my bedroom. I close my door behind us as she takes a seat on my bed.

"Nina...can you hear me?", I talk.

She stays sitting on my bed, just staring straight ahead and she begins to fidget and shake more.

"Nina, just breathe, okay?", I speak slowly, taking a seat next to her, "Can you look at me?"

She slowly lifts her head and I see her blood shot eyes. My heart shatters to pieces when I meet eyes with her.

"R-Ricky...I- I can't-", she tries speaking, but fails.

"You can't what... Nina? It's okay, just...speak slowly."

Her breathing was still short and choppy, which began to worry me. I didn't have anybody to go too since everyone was asleep. I have to do it by myself...I have to be there for her.

"I- I can- can't b-brea-", she stutters, brining a hand up to her chest.

In this moment I realized she was probably having a panic attack.

"Okay, look at me. 1,2,3... ready breath in...", I say, taking a deep breath in and letting it out, "And out..."

I watch as she slowly follows my actions and I nod my head at her, giving her a comforting smile.

"There you go...", I smile.

We sit there for a few more minutes while I help her even out her breathing. Eventually, her breathing settles down and she's more aware and conscious. I come back into my bedroom from getting her a water bottle to see her lying down on my bed. I smile to myself before walking up to her.

"Here, drink some water", I say, twisting open the cap and handing the bottle to her.

She slowly sits up and sips the water carefully. I pull my chair from my desk and sit next to my bed while I just look at her concerned. I wanted to ask what was wrong...but I didn't want to push it. I was just glad she was...safe and okay. I was glad she was with me so if she goes back into that state, she isn't alone.

"Hey...are you okay?", I softly ask.

Her eyes glance up at mine before going back down to the floor, "Uh- yeah...I'm okay now..."

"D-do you wanna talk about it...", I cautiously ask.

She presses her lips together and slowly shakes her head. I lower my head and try to see her face. Once I get a view of her, I notice her glossy eyes and tears slowly rolling down her cheeks. I try to hide the sad expression on my face as she looks up at me.

"Hey, hey, it's okay...", I say.

I get up and sit on the bed and she practically collapses into my arms. I hear her muffled cries and I use my hand to rub up and down her back, trying to comfort her. My heart would break even more every time I'd hear her sobs.

I have no idea what happened...but I'd take her pain and make it mine without a second thought.