22. happiness cant stay forever

Start from the beginning

She smiles at me, and I continue to set up. I lay out a blanket and some pillows, along with a basket full of food. I sit down on the blanket and motion for her to come sit.

Nina's pov

I gently take a seat on the blanket next to Ricky as he pulls food from the basket. I watch him with a smile slowly emerging onto my face.

"Okay...so I got In and Out...hopefully you like that. But if you don't, I can go get something else and-"

"Ricky! It's perfect.", I chuckle as he hands me food.

We both begin to eat in a comfortable silence, just staring off into the ocean, before he finally speaks up.

"So, uh- how was your day?", he says, swallowing a bite of food.

"It was pretty good...I have no homework for the weekend which is a first.", I laugh, wiping my mouth with a napkin.

He smiles, "That's good...was the diner busy tonight?"

I shrug, "It was like usual."

"When's Makenna coming back?", he asks me.

I sigh, "I think sometime next week?"

Ricky nods his head at me before we both continue eating our food in silence. Every now and then I would glance at Ricky and smile a little. Sometimes, I'd turn to see him already staring at me. Which then in that case we both awkwardly laugh and turn away.

After some time, we both finished our In and Out and the sun was just now beginning to set. I love sunsets. The way the sky gets painted beautiful shades of oranges, pinks, and yellows. And it's always so peaceful to just watch. It's like...in the moment you feel free? Like everything's just...perfect.

I grab a pillow from behind me and set it down on the blanket before I lay down. A couple seconds later, I noticed Ricky lay down, right next to me. We were both just staring off into the sky. Eventually, I had to clear the silence.

"Hey uh- Ricky?", I clear my throat.

He turns his head to look at me, but I keep my gaze on the sky.

"What was all this for...you know I forgave you, right?", I speak.

He lets out a sigh, "Yeah, I know. I just- I don't know...it's kinda a stupid answer."

I finally turn my head to the side and meet eyes with him. We both sit in silence, staring into each other's eyes, before I speak.

"Tell me", I smile.

He takes a deep breath, sitting up, so I do the same and sit up. I look at him and could sense how nervous he was. I give him a comforting and encouraging smile, in which he returns.

"So, uh- I just...I wanted to- to still show you that I uh- um that I...", he stutters, "That I do...care. And that I um- I don't know...that I'm not gonna hurt you anymore. Because I really...really...don't wanna lose our friendship again Nina. You're just...you're one of the best people that I've met, and you've helped me change for the better."

I don't even realize the sweet smile on my face forming as he talks. I was just in a complete daze looking, and listening, to him. I can't believe I thought he didn't care. I'm finally realizing how sweet and caring he is...I'm glad we're friends now. And I never want to get torn apart again.

"Nina...please say something-", he says, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I clear my throat, "S-sorry...Ricky, I know. I know that you care. I know you're not gonna hurt me anymore. You don't have to prove it to me anymore. I...trust you. And...I trust that we won't ever get taken apart again."

He smiles at me as he lays back down on the blanket, me following shortly after. We stare up into the night sky, stargazing.

Ricky's pov

Eventually, me and Nina got talking and laugh non-stop. We were truly just enjoying ourselves. And...now that everything is good between us...I feel different towards her. But, I just can't pin point what it is. We were lying on the blanket, listening to the ocean waves, as we were looking at constellations in the sky.

"No Ricky! That's the little dipper!", she giggles, taking my finger and pointing it to a different part of the sky, "And that...is the big dipper."

Once we settled down on the laughing, we were sitting there in silence before Nina's phone buzzes. She sits up and checks her phone. I sit up after noticing her change in attitude and posture. She looked tense and had widened eyes.

"Uh- is everything okay?", I ask, cautiously.

Her head shoots up to look at me, "Y-yeah...uh- could you drive me back to the diner please? My car's there and I- I'm sorry I need to get... s-somewhere."

I nod my head, worried, "Yeah sure...c'mon."

I quickly pack up the picnic and set the stuff in the back seat of my car. We both get in, buckling our seatbelts, before I drive towards the diner. The entire ride Nina was typing away on her phone, and I noticed her fidgeting with her necklace.

"Are you sure everything's okay?", I ask again.

She nods, "Yes...i-it's all okay..."

I nod and decide to drop the conversation before I make anything worse. We eventually pull into the diner parking lot, and she gets out, looking back at me.

"Thanks for tonight Ricky...I had a lot of fun. I'll talk to you later.", she smiles, shutting the car door.

I watch as she hurries into her car and drives off. I sadly smile to myself before I pull out and head towards my house.

When I arrive at home, I park in the driveway and notice the lights off. My parents must already be asleep. I quietly enter the house and walk into my bedroom. I slump down onto my bed, dialing Nina's number.

"Hey it's Nina! Sorry I can't pick up, leave a message!", the voicemail sounds.

I sigh, pulling my phone away from my ear and facetiming Kourtney, Carlos, Seb.

"Hey Ricky!", they all greet, their smiles soon fading when they see my facial expression.

"Everything okay? Did tonight not go well?", Kourtney asks.

I sigh, "It did...but I think something happened with Nina."

They all look at me, worried.

"What happened?", they ask in unison.

I shrug, "I have no idea. She got a message and then was urgent to get somewhere. I hope everything's okay."

"Have you tried calling her?", Seb asks.

I nod, "Yep...no answer. Maybe ya'll try to call her?"

They all nod at me, "We will."

I sigh, "Anyways, night guys. Keep me updated if she answers you guys."

The call ends and I hop onto my bed, staring at the ceiling, just hoping she's okay.

And wishing I could be with her wherever she is right now.

Nina's pov

I rush into the building, panting once I arrive at the front desk.

"H-hi...I need to speak with-"

"Nina!", I hear a lady call out.

I rush up to the blonde-haired girl, wearing blue scrubs, holding a clipboard.

"P-please...what happened?", I speak, getting choked up on my words.