0.02 || a cute ship

───── ❝ 𝙖 𝙘𝙪𝙩𝙚 𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙥❞ ─────
•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧. •̩̩͙*˚⁺‧.˚ *•̩̩͙ ✩. •̩̩͙*˚⁺‧. •̩̩͙*˚⁺‧. ˚ *•̩̩͙ ✩

Michael took a deep breath, making a serious face and leaning on the kitchen counter.

''So, how are you feeling?''

All the pain flowed to me as soon as he spoke out those words.

''As the circumstances demand, I guess. I miss her.''

''Yeah...''

I look into his sorry face. He looks tired. Since he joined the navy we both didn't find much sleep. Our father died in the air force and I worry about him drowning alone in the wide sea he calls his home. The past three male generations of our men died in army service and I hate that Michael wants to tempt his fate.

''How are you feeling?''I ask him, already knowing he won't tell me the whole truth.

''Same. But I'm okay.''

''No, you're not.''

''I am. Stop telling me how to feel, Maddie.'', he barked.

I shut my mouth and he realized how angry he sounded. Michael sights.

''Sorry. I didn't mean to sound so rude. I just really need some sleep.''

''How long are you staying.''

''Planned are till the funeral. But if you need me longer, I'll stay.''

I wanted to say ''then you have to stay forever'', but that wouldn't be fair of me. He has a life and he loves it. I'm just out of place there.

I nod and start to prepare the couch for him so he could sleep.

"You don't have to do that, I can do that. By the way, I thought we could spend some time together tomorrow?''

"Really?", I ask with puppy eyes and throw the pillow on the couch. We have a five years age difference (since the snap 10 years difference) and I constantly feel like his little sister when he offers to spend time with me. When we were little I wanted to play with him everyday but he rather spent time with his friends. I learned to stop asking because I didn't want to annoy him or be a burden.

"Yeah, you could show me around. Show me your best ice cream parlor.''

I giggle: "It's november."

"So?", he smiles

The next day we ate breakfast in the bakery together, Mainly because Aaron wanted to see Michael, and Michael...well, he likes every person on this planet so he didn't mind.

It was a good feeling to have my family around during breakfast. I missed Michael's company. His fancy smile and easy going way of living. It made me forget that we lost the last standing person in our family for a minute.

" I wish I could join you both'', Aaron sulked when we were leaving.

"Next time", I promised, waving him goodbye.

"So, where next?"

,,Haven marketplace?", I offer as if he hadn't seen enough water in the past seventeen years.

It was cold and windy at the sea but walking between all these people between market stalls made it bearable. We browsed through all the different items and fruits. Found antique stuff and older belongings of people. I looked through the postcards from eighty years ago, wife's writing their husbands how much they loved them and that they are waiting for them with the children. One woman told her husband that she was pregnant. I wonder if he ever got this postcard. I wonder if he was happy about it or if it just was a reason to fake die in war.