Chapter 33: You are safe

Start from the beginning

That morning she had secretly begged Gimli to take him for a walk so Nestarel can breathe a bit and her wish had been fulfilled and now she was sitting near the pond alone. 

"May I sit here?" Sam's soft voice brought her out of her thoughts. She looked at him and smiled. "Of course you can, my dear Sam." she said and Sam sat next to her shyly and gazed at the pond too. He looked much better and his wounds and scars were healing with high speed. Yet he looked a bit conflicted like his soul was somehow in pain.

Nestarel put a delicate hand on his shoulder gently. "Are you fine, Sam?" she asked concerned.

"Yes, Yes I am." he answered a bit too quickly. 

Nestarel rose an eyebrow and looked at him expectingly. Sam sighed defeated and dropped his head. Soon he felt a finger under his chin and his face was pulled up until he was looking directly at the eyes of Nestarel.

"Tell me what is bothering you from inside, Sam." she said. "You will feel much better after."

Sam looked around a bit before he finally spoke. "It's this peace that is bothering me." he said. "Don't get me wrong, my lady. It just, after almost a year of being in constant danger and worry, it feels odd that everyone tells you that it is finally ended." Nestarel listened patiently as he continued. "When the ring was destroyed and I and Mr. Frodo were lying on a temporary island between a river of flames, I had no hope to live any longer. I never thought we will survive." he said and his eyes welled up. "I was thinking that I can never see shire again. Or Mr. Merry and Pippin or strider. I can never see Rosey and tell her how beautiful she is and how much I love her."

Nestarel hugged him and let him cry his heart out while she rubbed his back. "It's okay to feel this way, Sam." she whispered to him. "Now you have a lifetime ahead of you to live and enjoy. You are going to see Rosey again and tell her about your feelings. You had a long and hard journey. But it's over now and although life will still have its dangers, the darkness that was threatening our lives and freedom is gone thanks to you and Frodo. With your act of valor, Rosey and your loved ones in the Shire can continue their life of peace. Think about it that way."

Sam nodded and wiped his face. "You are right, my lady." he said and smiled which she returned. "I just wish Mr.Frodo wakes up as well."

"He will soon." said Nestarel and kissed his head fondly. "I promise."

When they were back at the campsite, Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli greeted them. "Did you hear the news?" said Gimli excitedly and clapped happily. "Frodo has wakened up some minutes ago."

"Really?" cried Sam happily and Nestarel smiled widely.

"yes," said Legolas and put a hand on Nestarel's lower back. "Come, let's go and see him."

The four of them walked and found the others in the tent already, Gandalf was standing at the head of the bed and was laughing loudly, the thing he was doing a lot recently. Merry and Pippin were jumping happily on the bed, where Frodo was sitting laughing as well.

He saw them and his eyes shone with happiness again. So it was that in the woods of Ithilien and after hard months the fellowships gathered once again and their hearts were full of happiness from the victory they had gained. 

Aragorn held a great party that day. They clad Frodo and Sam with fine clothes and sat them at the head of the table. When so many songs were sung about the two hobbits and they ate lunch and everyone was busy, Legolas grabbed Nestarel's hand and took her for a walk in the woods.

They walked in comfortable silence and enjoyed the peace of the woods. They finally reached the pond and sat on the bench. Legolas still had Nestarel's hand and was playing with her fingers. "How do you see woods of Ithilien, Nesta?" he asked.

Nestarel's smile grew wider and she looked around. "I love it. it's so beautiful and peaceful." she said.

Legolas nodded in agreement. "It will flourish if Elves live here." he said. "We will go back to Minas Tirith tomorrow and then you and I will go back home in a few days. I want us to go back before you go far in your pregnancy so the travel won't bother you as well.

Nestarel nodded. Although the thought of leaving her friends was bothering her she had missed her home a lot and she wanted her baby to be born in Greenwood and in the halls of her people.

"But," said Legolas and cut off her line of thoughts. "After our baby is born I want to take a group of our people and ask Aragorn to let us settle here. What do you say?" he asked and looked at Nestarel nervously.

Nestarel smiled and kissed his lips briefly. She then stared deep into his eyes. "I would love to." she replied. 

"I love these woods very much." said Legolas and looked around. 

"Is it only because of the woods or the fact that it's closer to the sea, so you can go and see it more?" asked Nestarel with a playful smirk, knowing well what was going on in her husband's mind. He had talked so much about the sea in the past days.

Legolas sighed defeated. "I would lie if I say no." he confessed. "We all should take the road to the sea one day and leave middle earth. Our time in these lands is over and now that I have seen the sea and has breathed in its air I don't think I can live under the trees in ease."

"Do what you want and go where you want. I will be by your side all the time." whispered Nestarel and kissed his jaw this time. "Where ever you are, is my home."

Legolas couldn't hold it anymore. He quickly but carefully pulled her into his lap and gave her red welcoming lips a passionate kiss while rubbing her belly softly. Nestarel put her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss. When they pulled away they were both breathless. "You are going to be a death of me." panted Legolas with his eyes closed.

So it was that when they reached the white city of Minas Tirith and Aragorn was welcomed there happily as the new king, Legolas and Nestarel farewelled everyone and began their long road to home. Loreth went with them with a promise that she will return one year later and she was so happy. Gimli stayed in the city to help in the reconstruction of the city but secretly promised Nestarel to be there for the arrival of the baby.

"It's already so dull without them." said Pippin as he wiped a tear from his face. They had all stood on top of a battlement, watching a small group consisting of the two Elves, Loreth, and a few guards that Aragorn had sent with them, riding away on the plains of Pelennor. 

"I have told you before," said Sam. "This world will not be the same when the Elves leave it forever. I'm going to miss them both alot."

Gandalf put a hand on his shoulder and gave a squeeze. "Don't be worried, my dear Samwise Gamgee," he said. "Soon you will see them again." he said and Aragorn's head whipped toward him suddenly alert. A blossom of hope bloomed in his heart at the sight of Gandalf's reassuring smile.

He smiled as well as his heart beat faster at the thought of his beloved Arwen. Only God knew how much he envied Legolas. Only God knew how much he wanted to marry Arwen and finally be with her for the rest of his life and see their children playing around. He looked in the direction of the misty mountains and prayed in his heart selfishly to see her again and have her forever although it meant she should lose her immortality and leave her family forever to be with him.

Her beautiful angelic voice echoed in his mind. A promise that eased his pain a bit. I prefer to spend a lifetime with you than to spend all the ages of this world alone.