Chapter 1: Pet

Mulai dari awal

The Corporalnik nods quickly, unable to speak as she struggles to breathe. Aleksander's creature holds her there for a few more seconds, enjoying her pain, before fading away.

With a casual wave of his hand, the Darkling continues as though nothing happened, "Lana and Ivan will travel through the Fold and retrieve more troops while the rest of us begin searching for Alina."

I turn my head to look at the Grisha, "My sister had gold hairpins in her hair when she abandoned us. Their first step would have been to find clothes and lodging. Then they would have boarded a boat. Start there."

They all nod at us.

Aleksander shows no emotion on his face but I feel his pride in my leadership skills. He waves the Grisha away, "Good. Now get out. Ivan, Lana will retrieve you soon so prepare for the journey."

"Moi soverenyi, moya soverenaya," they all bow to both of us and leave the room. Ivan smirks at me when he closes the door behind him.

The moment it's shut, the Darkling takes my chin in his hand and turns my head to meet his eyes.

"Ruling suits you, moya zvezda."

I grin and whisper, "You with your constant flattery, Aleksander. Perhaps I am the owner and you the pet."

He chuckles once and smoothly replies, "Yes, you do own me. And I own you. Do I need to remind you of that?"

I let a mischievous expression cross my face and shrug, "I think you do."

A low growl slips past his lips before they crash into mine. The Darkling's hands grip my hips and tugs me fully onto his lap. I straddle him before I can fall over and tangle my fingers into his hair. His desire for me and mine for him becomes apparent but, with a whine, I pull away.

"Ivan and I have to go, so we can return before nightfall."

Aleksander's lips trail onto my neck and he murmurs, "He can wait."

I laugh and push myself off of him. When he growls again and I sense his playful annoyance, I grin, "The sooner I leave, the sooner we can continue what we just started."

He stands and hands me my tattered kefta, "Better not keep Ivan waiting."

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

Ivan and I procured two horses in the village. Now we sit on our mounts staring into the Fold. Aleksander and the other Grisha flank us.

I turn towards my lover, "If you find my sister, do not wait for us to capture her."

He nods, "Be safe, moya zvezda. Not everyone will be pleased about the events that took place on the skiff."

With a smirk, I reply, "It's them that should be wary of me."

Then I release my starlight. It carves a blue tunnel straight through the shadows.

"We'll be back before nightfall. Until then, Kirigan."

I urge my horse forward in a thundering gallop, my Heartrender friend following suit. With my tunnel fending off the volcra, we make good time.

When we exit the Fold, I let my light fade away. The whole camp looks towards us, none daring to move. I see the relief on their faces when they realize that the Darkling is not with us.

A person shoves through the crowd and approaches us quickly. Her auburn hair glows in the afternoon sunlight.

"Genya! Thank the Saints," I exclaim as I slide off my mount.