Chapter 1: Pet

*This includes a lemon/mature/spicy scene

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

𝕴𝖛𝖆𝖓 and three other Grisha were the only other survivors of the events on the Fold. At least, the only ones who are still loyal to the Darkling. Two Corporalki- a Healer and another Heartrender- and one Etherealnik Squaller stand at attention before Aleksander and me.

My hand lazily plays with the Darkling's hair. Our connection has grown stronger. Ever since the Fold, we have been oddly attuned to each other's emotions and sometimes I swear to the Saints that I can hear his silky smooth voice in my head.

It's been three days since we wandered into Novokribirsk. We've rested and healed. Yet, a weight bears down on each of our shoulders. My lover is different and every single person in this room can sense it.

The Corporalnik Healer did what she could for his injuries but faint scars remain. Sadly, they aren't the only things that are new. He's weary. The dark circles and weight loss were prominent at first and remnants are still noticeable. Oddly enough, we've found that when I touch him, the blemishes fade away. Hence the increase in public affection.

Aleksander had once mentioned that I'm like his own personal amplifier. Now it's almost true. I make him stronger, just not in the way that he does for me. He increases my power. While I break through the darkness feeding on him to strengthen his soul.

Last night, we were laying awake just holding each other. I asked him about his thoughts on our connection.

He had hummed, "Perhaps our powers connect us in some way."

It makes sense. So for now that's what I choose to believe.

The Darkling leans forward, pulling away from my touch to address our Grisha.

"We have rested long enough," he says. "Now we begin our search for our wayward Sun Summoner."

I nod and continue, "Currently, we don't have enough Grisha for the journey."

"The six of us should be enough to capture her," the Healer, Mischa, boldly replies. "Why do we need more?"

Aleksander's eyes darken. She may not have necessarily interrupted me but I can sense that he's viewing it as such. So I slide a hand onto his shoulder and send him calming energy.

It seems to work, as he just tilts his head and obliges the Corporalnik, "Once we find Alina, we won't be returning to the Little Palace quite yet. We are going to find a ship to help us search for another amplifier."

Unaware that she's in dangerous territory, Mischa hisses, "Another amplifier? For your Summoner pets? We should be focusing on establishing Grisha power in Ravka."

Without warning, a shadow creature swirls into existence and grabs the Healer by the throat. It slams her into a wall.

"Do not speak about Lana and Alina like that," the Darkling coldly demands. "Remember your place."

Sensing the strain using his new power causes, I slowly slink in front of his chair and slide onto his lap. My legs casually lay perpendicular to his, one arm resting around his shoulder, and another propping myself up using the arm of the chair. The physical contact makes his creature grow in size and the tiredness in his eyes fades away.

"She knows I'm not a pet," I smoothly say as I lock gazes with the man below me. "I'm sure she won't disrespect us again unless she wants to play with your actual pets. Isn't that right, Mischa?"