"Just terrible," I respond. "We must give Genya her kefta immediately to alleviate the woes she must be feeling."

He laughs, "Of course."

I look off to the side with a contemplative expression on my face, "I was thinking red and blue. My friend stands out and her kefta should be no different."

The Darkling nods, "I agree. Any other thoughts about the situation?"

"Keep the Apparat on a short leash, I don't trust him."

"He has his uses but those were my thoughts exactly," Aleksander replies.

I hum and then sternly say, "And Aleksander? Genya is my friend. Remember that. I don't want her being used like that again."

He just waves a lazy hand, "There will be no need. But Genya won't be harmed by anyone again. She's Grisha."

"Good. I hate how the King treated her," I say with a hiss. "I wish I could take a dagger to his heart."

The Darkling raises an eyebrow, "So bloodthirsty."

I laugh, "Don't pretend you don't enjoy it."

He only hums in response.

After a comfortable silence, his smoldering gaze meets mine again, "I've lived countless lifetimes and no one has been able to surprise me and render me clueless quite like you, Svetlana."

Despite the warmth his intense stare causes, doubt trickles through my mind. He must sense it because he asks, "Do you not believe my words to be true?"

I shake my head and lightly grip his hand across the table, "No, of course, I believe you. I sense your emotions and lies as you can mine, Aleksander."

"Then what is swirling in that cunning mind of yours, moya zvezda?"

After chewing my bottom lip, I whisper, "You're eternal. What if I turn out to be another mortal? What will you think of me then?"

"You're like me, Lana. Reigns will fall and rise. People will die and be reborn. But you and I will stand together through it all."

I groan, "That didn't answer everything I asked."

He tightens his hold on my hand before I can pull away, "Even if you are mortal. Even if the amplifiers I plan to give you do not extend your life to the end of eras. Even if you age like the rest. I will never... care for anyone like I do you."

Still, in a whisper, I reply, "You're wrong. You won't forget about me but you'll grow numb to the grief. You'll grow numb to losing me with time."

"No. I feel your emotions like they are my own. I know where you are at all times. You draw me in like I do for so many others," the Darkling growls in frustration but continues. "You're a part of me. You mean more to me than my power and ambition. And if the world were to take you away from me, I would find you. I would tear down whatever realm the afterlife is in and bring you back to me. Saints, Lana. You're more addicting than the darkness running through my veins."

"Oh Aleksander, I thought we agreed no more lies," I respond with a small smile. "But, I'm selfish. So I will stupidly believe that you meant every word."

He just stares at me like I'm the only thing that matters in the world. And I gaze back at him and sip my wine.

"But I must warn you, Darkling," I continue with an intense expression. "My feelings for you are stronger than life and death. I no longer could live in a universe without you. I want you more than anything. And the problem with wanting is that it makes us weak."