I stand and all of the Grisha quiet themselves.

"I've been so kindly informed that the feast of Sankta Anastasia normally isn't celebrated here," I glance at Zoya with a smirk as I raise my glass, "However, today we change that. Please, join me with a toast to General Kirigan and Sankta Anastasia, the patron Saint of healing. Here's to the health of our leader and our fellow Grisha."

They all rise and lift their dishes as we cheers and sip. Then I settle into my seat to enjoy the bitter taste of fruity wine.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ☽ ☪ ☾ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ ✷ ⋆ ⋆ ⋆

After training, I walk through the large doors leading to the council room. That's where I find my lover. He's scribbling away on several documents. The Darkling doesn't shift to face me but we both know he sensed my presence.

Understanding that he has an army to run, I just softly say, "I'm going to bathe before dinner."

He nods once but remains silent. So with a shrug, I go into our chambers, strip my clothes, and sink into the warm waters of the tub.

When I'm finished, I take my time getting ready so that Aleksander can finish his work. Then I saunter back into the council room to find a simple but elegant dinner setup on one of the tables. Red roses are placed in a black shiny vase off to the side. Candles flicker around the espresso-colored wood.

There in the warm glow, stands my lover, his hand resting on the edge of a chair. His black kefta has been discarded on the empty section of the long table. Following suit, I shrug off my own and place it near his. Then I glide over to the seat. The Darkling politely shifts my chair up as I settle into it.

"Is this gift number two?" I ask as he descends into his own.

"No," Aleksander replies as he places a bottle of red wine on the table. "This is."

He pours us both a glass and I take a sip. It's velvety, fruity, soft, and a touch dry.

"This is the best wine I've ever tasted," I marvel.

The Darkling smirks, "It's one of the original bottles from the time of Sankta Anastasia's death. Aged to perfection. Rare and hard to find."

"Like you," I hum with a smile.

"Quite right, Lana."

"Here's to Sankta Anastasia," I raise my glass. "And the time and fortune you spent to find this."

"Only the best for people like us," the Darkling says as he clinks his glass with mine.

As we eat our food, we fill the silence with conversation.

"Were you out getting this bottle for us this morning?"

"Yes, I was," Aleksander replies.

I hum and raise an eyebrow, "Good because I was contemplating being mad at you."

He matches my expression, "You were contemplating it?"

"Of course. Each action and emotion I make is carefully planned and calculated," I send a pointed look his way. "Or am I switching our roles?"

The Darkling laughs, the smooth sound surrounding us, "Oh Lana, I do believe that I'm influencing you a bit too much."

"Oh Aleksander, I do believe that you're giving yourself too much credit, as always," I sip more of my wine and only allow him to see a sliver of my smirk. "Speaking of too much credit, how is the King?"

His smile is all dark amusement, "Terrible sickness. I'm afraid he's locked away in his quarters. The Queen has also been contained due to fears of contagion."