"Nina...I promise you Ricky cares...", Seb sighs.

I shrug, "How do you know that?"

Kourtney lets out a breath, "Because...when he came to us, asking for help, he was desperate as ever Nina. And then when he told me he thinks the plan was working...the smile on his face..."

"I truly believe he cares Nina...you should talk to him.", Seb suggests, resting a hand on my shoulder.

I sigh, "I'll think about it."

The bell rings and I head to my first period class.

"Time to sing a song.", I mutter to myself as I walk inside.

I take my seat and my leg bounces as I watch Ricky come through the door and sit right next to me. I avoid all eye contact by staring around the room. Just then, Mr. Mazzara comes inside and stands at the front of the classroom.

"Okay...I hope you all are ready to present today.", he says, "I'll be picking who goes when."

He takes a seat in the back of the classroom with his pen and paper.

"Okay, Jack and Cade you're up.", he says.

Throughout all these kids' presentations, I would zone out. They were all boring and I couldn't focus with all that was going through my head right now. I would feel Ricky's eyes on me at certain times. And other times, I'd be the one looking.

My head was propped up with my hand as I was off in my own world. Almost everybody had went by now, and I was getting a little anxious about when I was up.

"Nina! You're up!", he cheers.

I pop my head up and nervously get up in front of the class. I take my phone out and get the recording of the music. I press play and take a deep breath, closing my eyes as I begin to sing.

"Called you on the phone today...just to ask you how you were...", I sing.

I open my eyes and meet Ricky's gaze. I feel heat rise to my cheeks as I continue on.

"You got me messed up in the head boy...never doubted myself so much.", I take a breath, "Like am I pretty and I fun, boy?"

"I hate that I give you power over that kinda stuff...cause it's always one step forward...and three steps back...", I sing.

Ricky's pov

I sit at my desk, in awe, listening to her sing. It was very clear that song was about me, but that was the last thing I cared about. I watch her gracefully sing her song and I can't help but grow a smile. My eyes were glued to her. I carefully listen to the lyrics and begin to feel my stomach churn. You could almost hear the pain in her voice, and it made me feel...terrible.

I wipe the smile off my face as I realize she's stopped singing. I watch as she walks back and sits at her desk. I look over at her and awkwardly smile.

"That was great", I whisper.

She slightly smiles back at me, "Thanks..."

"Mr. Bowen! You're up!"

I take a deep breath as I get up and stand in front of everybody.

Nina's pov

I wonder what Ricky's-

"I'll be performing a song...I wrote...", he says, interrupting my thought.

I sit up straighter, intrigued now. I watch as he sets up his phone, with music as well, just like me. He takes a deep breath before opening his mouth and singing.

"You say you gotta think it over...I can't stop thinkin of you...", he effortlessly sings.

"I'll be here when you...need me to...make you feel beautiful in the morning, light you up when the rain won't stop pouring...cause there's a million little things I haven't told ya..."

My mouth partially separates as I listen to him. I've never heard him sing before...to be fair, I don't think anybody has. He's a good singer though...and apparently a good songwriter as well? I was in total shock and awe while listening to him. It was clear that song was mostly about me...he wouldn't stop glancing at me throughout the song. But...it made me realize some things.

As he sings, we make eye contact. But the difference...is that nobody looked away. He just continued singing as I continued watching. The whole world disappeared around us, and it was like I was taken into an alternate universe. A small smile forms on my lips, the same happening with him.

He finishes his song and smile at him as he sits back down.

"That was...amazing.", I breath out.

He chuckles, "Thanks...yours too."

Just then, the bell rings and everybody gets up, heading out the door. As I'm standing at my locker, Ricky comes up to me.

"Hey uh- listen...I'm sorry, about everything and I-"

"No, Ricky...I'm the one who should be saying sorry. I overreacted and I'm being complicated. I guess I didn't realize you were only trying to do the right thing. And now that I look back at it, I misinterpreted everything. I've realized...you do care and I'm so so so...sorry.", I explain.

He smiles at me and nods, "I really do care Nina...you're an amazing person. And...it's okay, you have every right to be blocking me out after everything I've done to you."

"It's okay...I don't think I'm blocking you out anymore.", I smile.

He let out a sigh of relief, "Friends?"

I nod, "Friends."

He chuckles, "We should probably let our other friends know what's up."

I shrug, "Or...we can confuse them and not tell them?"

He laughs at me, "Totally! That's more fun anyways,"

Ricky's pov

That's relieving. We're friends again and she isn't mad at me. We smile at each other once more before the bell rings and we walk through the halls, finding our next class. Even though she's forgiven me and all that...I still wanna surprise her with something she'll like. And...I'm gonna do it by myself...and I'll put y heart and soul into it, so hopefully she loves it.

Before she walks into her next class, I tug on her wrist, and she looks back at me.

"Hey uh- are you doing anything tonight?", I nervously ask.

"I mean, I have work til 6 but...besides that nope", she smiles, "Why do you ask?"

I take a deep breath, "I'll see you at 6."