Part 3: Things said and unsaid

SECTION I 1994: 4 Years Later Part 3: Things said and unsaid 

Sameer unlocked the creaking front French doors of his home. The house was still dark. Sameer had given the evening off to Ramdhari. He must have gone out to his friends' place, Sameer thought as he kept his bag on the sofa and turned on the hall lights.

Today had been a very special day for Sameer! He'd finally proposed to Naina, and she had agreed to marry him. Only he knew how much he'd waited for this day. And now that it was here; the moment she'd said 'Yes', had been the happiest moment of his life till now. The moment he wanted to share desperately with the other most important person in his life- his Nanu.

Sameer smiled softly as he saw Nanu standing in the gallery, in front of the tea table, folding the evening newspaper neatly as was his habit. He stood there for a few seconds admiring his grandfather, wanting to run upto him and tell him all about tonight. And that was when he saw a young man, rushing in through the French doors in excitement; his slightly long, silky hair wobbling up and down, dancing to the rhythm of his steps, as he shrieked at the top of his voice, "Naaanuuu....Naaannnnuuu!"

Sameer saw himself scampering to meet his Nanu. His Nanu turned to face that exuberant Sameer, and his lips curved into a huge smile as he rushed forward with open arms to meet his grandson. Sameer saw him hug his Nanu hard and tight and then dance around with him with joy. The Sameer who was watching this scene unfold in front of his eyes, crossed his arms and heaved as he saw his Nanu laughing with his grandson- a shadow of his mind, an outcome of his thoughts and memories. The scene was magical, nostalgic.

And then Nanu made that Sameer stop and raised his eyebrows in expectation. "Kya hua? Haan boli?" Sameer could hear his Nanu's distant voice.

"Nannuu....," Sameer spoke in a sing-sang voice as he twirled his grandfather around again. "Yes...yes....yes!!" he yelled.

That Sameer's happiness knew no bounds. Nanu too erupted in joy and again the grandfather-grandson duo started prancing about right there, while the Sameer who was watching this, grinned softly.

He saw his Nanu kissing him and saying, "Aakhirkaar bhagwaan ne meri sun li. Ab main apne pyaare se nawase ko ghodi chadhata dekhunga." Sameer's smile faltered slightly as he saw his silhouette smiling, blushing at the thought of his wedding.

"Lekin ab tu baccha nahi raha- tujhe Naina ki aur hum sabki zimmedari bhi uthani hogi...business pe pura dhyaan...," and Nanu continued his lecture.

That Sameer kept nodding and then suddenly hugged Nanu tightly again. "Aap chinta mat kijiye Nanu, main sab sambhal lunga, aur aapko, Naina ko bahot khush rakhunga!" said that Sameer, tears of happiness in his eyes. And the real Sameer felt his own eyes get moist.

He then saw that Sameer telling his grandfather about how he'd proposed Naina and how she'd loved her birthday-cum-proposal surprise.

"Aur Nanu, wo Nani ki saree itni sundar thi...aur Naina to usme ekdum....," Sameer voice trailed off dreamily.

"Ekdumm....?" Nanu teased.

Sameer blushed and said, "Ekdum...mere hone wale naati-naatin ke nani lag rahi thi!"

Nanu's pleasant laugh rang in Sameer's ears.

"Acha sun, mummy papa ko bhi bata de ka. Ab rishta leke jaana hai na Naina ke yahaan jaldi se?" said Nanu, trying to calm down his over-excited grandson. "Ji Nanu, meri shaadi me koi aur ho na ho- aap, Munna aur Pandit hone chahiye!" Sameer responded.

"Aur Naina nahi? Naina ke bina shaadi kisse karega? Nana se?" Nanu teased again.

"Kya Nanu. Aap bhi na, Naina to hogi hi na! Aur jitni important Naina hai, utne hi important aap bhi ho. Jaise Naina ke bina shaadi nahi ho sakti vaise Nanu ke bina bhi nahi ho sakti!" Sameer told him earnestly.