20. too good to be true

Depuis le début

"Mr. Bowen?", the teacher speaks.

I shake my head, blinking my eyes to get rid of my thoughts.

"Uh y-yeah?", I stutter.

"You can't afford to be daydreaming right now.", he says, firmly.

I roll my eyes once he turns his back towards the class. I pick up my pencil and being jotting things down, having the information go through one ear and out the other.

After what feels like years, the bell finally rings, dismissing the class. We all get up and head out. I walk over towards my locker. As I'm exchanging books, I notice Nina talking to her friends and laughing by her locker. A small grin grows on my face, soon fading once two people block my view. EJ and Red. I gulp as they approach.

"Hey Ricky", they greet.

"Uh hey...what's up?", I ask, avoiding eye contact.

"Listen man I'm just gonna get straight to the point...why'd you do that to Gina?", EJ asks me.

I scoff, "Do what? She asked for it."

Red sighs, "No man...you really hurt her."

I throw my hands in the air, "So what?! She hurt me and Nina!"

"So, she's right, eh? You're really choosing her over your own friends. Dude c'mon...Nina's weird and...I don't know...odd? We're your real friends! We've been buddies since kindergarten.", EJ speaks.

I shrug, "Are ya'll even my friends if you can't accept the fact I want to be friends with Nina? You know, Nina's a sweet girl...and we were all wrong for bullying her. And now, I'm just living up to it, and I'm changing for the better. And that includes leaving you two in my past if you're still like this."

I walk past them, leaving them both in utter shock. But, gotta do whatcha gotta do, right?

Nina's pov

As I'm standing at my locker, talking to my friends. I watch as Ricky comes around the corner and stops at his locker. Just as he looks up in my direction, two figures walk in front, blocking my view of him. They walk up to Ricky, and I watch as they begin talking. I was close enough to even hear a little too. I smile in awe as I listen to what he says.

Soon after, I see Ricky begin to walk past them, coming in my direction. I quickly turn my head away and back to my friends before he catches me eavesdropping and staring.

"Whyyyy won't you let us listen to your song earlyyyyyy?", Kourtney whines.

I chuckle, "It's a surprise okay! I'll make sure to have Ricky-"

"Have Ricky...?", a voice comes from behind me.

I turn around and meet his gaze, genuinely smiling at him. I see Kourtney, Los, and Seb all smirk in my peripheral vision. I give them the side-eye before clearing my throat and beginning to talk to Ricky.

"Kourtney, Carlos, and Seb want you to record my song for them tomorrow.", I chuckle.

Ricky nods, "Sure I can do that"

I pop my head up, "Oh wait! I'm stupid- have ya'll even met yet?"

I watch as all four of their eyes grow wide and they blankly stare at me. I press my lips together as I stare at them in confusion.

"N-no we haven't. Not uh- not properly. I've erm...seen them around.", Ricky stutters.

"Y-yeah...you're the only way we uh...we know about Ricky", Carlos speaks for him, Seb, and Kourt.