one night, two consequences [2/3]

summary: you couldn't keep the truth hidden for too long; rafe had been just around the corner to hear it. explanations are due, and hard feelings come up.

warnings: cursing, lots of angst, DRAMA, rafe being rafe, rafe being a dick, pregnancy mention

word count: 2.5 K

For days now, you had been thinking of what to do next. You knew that sooner or later; the truth would reveal itself, but you had a choice to be honest with everyone before the evidence showed, or deal with it on the low.

Nevertheless, you tried to not let it affect you. You acted as if nothing happened, pretended everything was alright in your life; as if you weren't crumbling down from within.

You and Rafe... it's not that you two were still in better terms now, but at least he didn't exit the room when you arrived, he acknowledged your existence now, but you two still weren't talking.

How the fuck were you supposed to explain? Were you ever going to explain?

Truth is, you were scared as fuck, but didn't want to tell everyone the truth in fear of what they would have to say about the matter; it didn't even feel safe to tell Sarah.

Sarah had noticed a change in you, it didn't matter how much you tried to play it off, Sarah could still sense something was wrong. Something being off about you.

From the way you just pretended to drink beers but left them full by the end of the night, how you refused to wear anything but loose, old t-shirts, and in general... there was something off.

And today? She had decided to approach you. Sarah couldn't understand why were you hiding something from her. You two were best friends, right? There was no need to be secretive.

"What's going on with you?" Sarah questioned you suddenly, you two were laying down on the sand, observing your friends while they surfed the waves under the bright sun.

"What do you mean?" you were playing dumb, but hoped it wasn't evident.

"You know what I mean," Sarah insisted lightly, nudging your shoulder. "You know that no matter what it is, you can tell me, right? I'm here for you."

"I know, I know..." you trailed off.

But, how exactly were you supposed to explain this to her? And where to start?

Should you a simply state 'I'm pregnant,' and not reveal the whole truth?

Or be totally and utterly honest with her and say 'I'm pregnant, and it's your brother's?'

You had no damn clue of how Sarah would take the news, insisting that her brother had a thing for you, and you sleeping with him and getting pregnant are two completely different things.

"Then what is it?"

"I promise I'll tell you later," you said, nodding your head subtly to your friends, who were still on the sea. "don't want them to know yet."

"Okay..." Sarah said with furrowed brows. "Are you sure you're okay? This sounds very serious."

"I'll be okay, eventually, some day."

[***]

The stars shone up in the sky, the breeze was fresh and the weather was nice; and still you felt on edge.

You and Sarah were sitting down on her roof, near her window. That's the place where you two sit down to talk when it's something more private, you've done that since you two are kids and were in seek of thrill.