- Chapter 1: Ambush -

Link's POV 

   I was securing Storm and Epona to the posts. We had just arrived at Foothill Stable, and it was pouring heavily. As if the Goddess Hylia herself was giving me an omen of the events to come.

   I did a quick perimeter check, per the usual schedule. When I came inside, I was soaked and cold. Minor nuisance. I needed to stay by the princess.

   Zelda was brushing her hair in the private suite. It seems whenever I enter a room with her, she tenses. Perhaps I need to break the habit of moving too quietly sometimes. Or perhaps it was something else...

   "Link," she says. Her eyes linger on mine, too long, she decides, so they trail down to my clothes. "You should change. You'll catch a cold."

   "If I do, I'll drink a hearty elixir. I cannot afford to leave your side."

   She sighed and rolled her eyes, exasperated. "Well then, change in the room." As soon as the words left her mouth, she looked as if she wished she could suck them back in. She blushed and struggled to find words. "I-I mean, change wh-where, um, you c-can, uh, you know-"

   "It's alright," I said, slightly amused. The princess was so flustered, I offered some relief. "I'll change out of your line of sight."

   I moved behind where she was sitting on the bed and turned my back as I took off my shirt. I could still feel her eyes on me, however.

   Ever since I had saved her from the Yiga 100 years ago, Zelda had started to treat me... differently. It was definitely a step up from the ice-cold orders and snaps she used to throw at me, but I had started to see her in a new light. She started giving me this... feeling. It's difficult to explain. I felt almost lighter  when I was with her. She had started to change me so much, that after I had defeated Calamity Ganon and saved her, I resorted to creating a new mantra for myself. Don't get close, just keep her safe, like you were ordered to do. It was the least I could do for King Rhoam, who guided me when I had little to no clue of who I was.

   Every day since creating it, it became just a little harder, as the feeling Zelda gave me grew stronger and stronger with every passing day. 

   When I finished changing, I turned to find Zelda peeking at me. She quickly turned to pretend she was still brushing her hair, but I could see faint blush on her cheeks. I suppressed my snickers.

▪  ▪  ▪

   Early the next morning, Zelda was outside documenting everything she could find with the Sheikah Slate. Seeing her snap photos of everything she could lay her eyes on reminded me of that time on Irch Plain, when she attempted to feed me a hot-footed frog. Her eyes were so pleading, her hands itching to grab something to write with to record the results, I was nearly tempted to actually consume the creature. I wouldn't have, of course. Probably.

   This morning, however, she practically shrieked with joy capturing a photograph of a field fox. Her enthusiasm was that of a child with a gift, except ten times more.

   "Linklinklinklinklinklink!!" she squealed. "Look at what I managed to photograph!" She promptly shoved the Sheikah Slate in my face. I smiled. It was a good picture, considering what little experience she had with the Slate.

   "Can you believe it?? Field foxes are very shy and solitary, so it was such a discovery to find one so close to a stable! Could their behavior be changing due to the Calamity? It's all so fascinating, and I need a pen and journal immediately!"

   It was a little tricky keeping up with her rapid-fire speech.

   Suddenly I tensed. Something was rustling the shrubs...

   "Link? Are you alright?"

   Then I heard it. The mocking laughter of a Yiga footsoldier.

   "Get down!!" I yelled.

   I tackled Zelda to the ground as an arrow whizzed past, missing her head by inches. "Get to the stable!" I ordered her as I jumped back up and unsheathed the Master Sword, whipping my head around for the Sheikah traitor.

   "No, I won't leave you!" Zelda yelled. She still had her sealing powers, but she was still learning to control them. Whenever she attempted to shoot a small beam of light, a giant laser beam would appear, destroying anything unfortunate enough to cross its path. She wasn't ready yet.

   The Yiga soldier appeared behind me and took a shot before disappearing. I barely managed to deflect it with my shield before it hit my spine. "Zelda, go to the stable! I won't tell you again!" 

   She turned and fled. Just then, the Yiga appeared again, this time aiming for a fleeing Zelda.

   "NO!!" I yelled.

   I tackled him just before he could fire his arrow, sending us both rolling down a grassy hill. His arrow caught my shoulder, sending sharp needles of pain down my arm. I cried out in agony. When we reached the bottom of the hill, the Yiga groaned and disappeared yet again, hopefully for good this time.

   I could faintly hear and see Zelda shouting my name, but my head was spinning and my vision was fuzzy. My shoulder was throbbing with pain, and as soon as I tried to take a step forward, I collapsed, vision going dark.

▪  ▪  ▪

   I woke in the bed of the private suite. My shoulder was tightly bandaged and I faintly smelled the oils of Cool Safflina. Zelda was sitting by my side clasping my healthy hand and fiddling with her hair - a nervous habit.

   "Zelda?" I hoarsed.

   "Oh! Link! Are you alright?"

   I looked down at my arm. "I've been better." I try to pull myself up, but I wince.

   "You're always in such a hurry, Hero." she said with a smile. "You need time to heal."

   I grimaced at the thought of leaving Zelda unguarded to stay in bed.

   "I know," she said, although she had her "I don't need protecting" face. "How about a deal? I don't leave your side until you're healthy enough to get up."

   I considered that. "Deal. You're allowed to leave every two hours for bathroom breaks."

   "I beg  your pardon?" she giggled. "May I remind you who is incapacitated at the moment?" She was teasing me. I was probably grinning at her like a lovesick fool. I again attempted to sit up, and this time I succeeded. Suddenly, Zelda squeaked.

   "L-Link! Y-You're, uh.."

   Startled, I looked down at myself to see what was the matter. Oh. I was shirtless. The stable physician must have removed it to properly tend to my wound. 

   Not knowing what to do, I said, "Uh, could you maybe go look for a tunic, please?"

   She was blushing so furiously, I was concerned she might actually faint. "Uh, y-yes. I'll go, uh, do that." She bumped her head on the doorway before heading out.

   Since I was alone, I allowed myself a small laugh.

 >> Wow, my first chapter in my first story! Hope ya'll enjoyed it! 💙💚  HOW IS THIS STORY IN THE RANKINGS ALREADY??? #62??!?! *swoons*