He reached a more reclusive neighbourhood that had a few people about but not many, ideally it should be the perfect place to stay and hide until he could safely move himself out of Japan and back overseas but something was off. He’s never doubted the feeling in his gut, not once in his entire twenty eight years of life. And he wasn’t going to start now. 

Blank black eyes carefully eyes their surroundings, by passing couples and families as they milled about, he skipped over a leaning figure on a lamppost before they shot back and was met with a pair of burning crystalline blue. They were intense and unfaltering in their watch, they were eyes Illumi doesn’t appreciate seeing. He took a step back which had the unfamiliar figure pushing off their leaning perch and taking a step forward.

So it was to be a chase then? Illumi didn’t stick around to find out. Wide strides took him to a high rise wall to which he leaped up onto reliving some younger days where he would vault off buildings and tumble on to concrete. Footsteps from below followed him through his journey, they didn’t follow him onto the wall either from lack of time or lack of confidence in their skills to keep up while not falling. 

They both ran for many minutes, never relenting, then more started to add to the party, every few steps Illumi took led to one more person joining the capture brigade. Eventually the small town faded into the city once again where larger volumes of people squirmed about and traffic ran at quick speeds. Illumi kept his head forward not risking his movements any opportunity to slow. 

He picked up his phone and called one of the few numbers he keeps on it, it didn’t take long for the other side to pick up. 

“Hello, dad? Wh-”

“Listen, Killua, I don’t have much time. Who’s there with you?”

“What? It’s Kalluto and Hisoka even though WE DON’T WANT HIM HERE!”

“Now now Killua~” A more teasing voice came from the receiver. 

“Piss off weirdo-”

“Put the phone on speaker Killua,” Illumi said with a stern voice, one he doesn’t usually do. Just as he finished speaking the sound of thumping footsteps came from behind him and they were not on the floor, they were right up there with him on the wall running at top speeds with the confidence of someone who does it all the time. 

“There you’re on speaker, what are you doing anyways you sound off Dad.”

“Listen baby, Dad’s uh Dad’s gonna be gone for a while okay,” A quick swerve to the right and leap across a gap. “I’m gonna say some things okay and I need you to follow them, Hisoka you too.”

“Dad what are you on about-” His youngest child spoke up.

“Kalluto please just follow my requests.”

“...okay.”

“For today onwards the hands of Tuatha Dé Danann are to be given to Killua Yato with Kalluto Yato in second succession. I give these orders as current head of the organisation-”

“Catch him!”

“Hey, watch it!”

“Quiet, that's the Tokyo Manji Gang!”

“Don’t let him escape!”

“And father to my successors, my witness to this is Hisoka Marrow, a long time friend and right hand. Instant execution is to be displayed shall someone dismiss or disrespect my wishes, no mercy is to be shown. Am I understood?”

A shaky and wet ‘yes’ was heard, there was no denying that the children were close to crying, they knew what these words meant. It meant that Illumi was either close to death or to a situation where he may not be able to escape, by transferring power he is ensuring both the security of his children and his gang. He was covering all bases. 

“Hisoka Marrow, do you heed my words and plan to follow them?”

“...yes my Rí.”

“Take care of my boys Hisoka-”

The call dropped as a large jump between two buildings made him lose grip on his phone into the cavern beneath. 

He was coming to the end of a chain where no more houses or buildings could be used to continue his escape. He was coming to the end of a rope. He ran all he could until he was at the edge of the building where nothing but fast moving traffic flowed below. The footsteps that followed him came to a stop not too far behind him, close but not enough to scare another off. 

Illumi squared his shoulders and twisted on his feet to meet the face of his pursuer. His hair whipped in the night wind wild and free unlike the situation he was currently in.

“Illumi...it's good to see you.”

“I wish I could say the same-”