6. Something to Lose

Start from the beginning

Shoko's fingers tightened around the glass, her eyebrows furrowed, and she stared at the Y/N for a long moment. Then she released her hand from the glass as if she had woken up from a long dream.

"What was that?" horror was sensible in Shoko's tone.

Y/N looked at her hand first and then at Shoko. Her face looked sad.

"When you were a child, your stepfather abused you, and you never told your mother," Y/N said while tasting the pain under her tongue. Bitter.

"What? What are you talking about?" The woman with the white robe immediately got up and looked at Y/N with frowning eyebrows. "How do you know? Who gave you this information?"

Y/N lowered her head. She sipped her drink, turned to Shoko, and stated: "I'm a half curse. I absorb bad feelings. Sorcerers have bad feelings, unlike humans, they have learned to control them, but you could never hide it."

A bitter smile formed on Y/N's lips, and her gaze turned to the ground again.

Shoko glanced at Y/N, and this time, with a bit of hesitation, she sat down next to the bars and brought her glass to her lips.

"Because my mother loved that horrible man, and if I told her, she wouldn't believe me. Also, I was going to come to jujutsu school; I wasn't going to live with them. So I didn't say anything to anyone."

Shoko leaned her head against the wall and looked at Y/N.

"Sounds logical." Y/N drank from her glass again.

"You don't want to say that I made a mistake, and I should have told my mother so she could protect me?"

"I'm not a good person to judge others. I can only say that at that age, you made a choice that you thought was right. That's all that matters now."

Shoko stared at the ceiling. "No one had ever understood me like you, Y/N."

"Maybe because no one really felt your pain like me...."

Shoko sighed. "I wish you weren't a murderer and we could be friends."

This time Y/N looked at Shoko with wide eyes. Shoko seemed to have a thousand years of sadness hidden on her face, but a sincere smile could be seen on her lips.

Y/N said nothing and looked at her glass. If it were years ago, she would have loved to hear that someone thought they could be good friends. But now, a few steps away from execution, none of that mattered.

"If I were you, after killing so many people, I would rather kill myself than surrender to execution under the laws of jujutsu." Again Shoko's voice broke the silence.

"You're right. That's why before I came here, I was trying to get rid of myself at the sea."

Shoko coughed out in surprise. "Were you committing suicide? Why?"

"Isn't it clear? Didn't you say it yourself? I regret the way I have chosen to live. I have so much blood on my hands that I can't go back ..." Y/N looked at her hands in disgust.

"Why did you come here, Y/N?" Shoko's voice softened.

"Now that I think about it, I don't know. All my life, I've been looking for someone or something that would be so valuable to me that I will try my best to keep it, I never had it. How ironic that I find that thing just before death."

"How interesting~," Satoru said suddenly. The two women turned their heads and looked at the white-haired man leaning against the wall. He continued: "Excuse me for interrupting your sweet lady talk, but I need to talk to our dear prisoner about her options for execution~"