○ | 1 |

CHAPTER ONE: PilotWARNING: slight mention of kidnapping, rape & gore

CHAPTER ONE: Pilot
WARNING: slight mention of kidnapping, rape & gore

A CORPSE SUPPOSED, in European folklore, to leave its grave at night to drink the blood of the living by biting their necks with long pointed canine teeth.

What they really mean is MONSTER. Humans, I mean. They classify otherworldly creatures as monsters. How do I know this? Well...

I'm a vampire of course.

- A.S. September 7th, 2009

ATHENA LILITH SALVATORE was 168 years old. 

At the ripe age of 23, she turned into a vampire trying to save her brothers when they did something stupid. It was for love, obviously. It's always love.

That's why she was living in her old house. The Salvatore Boarding House. She's been here for the past four months. Ever since Elena and Jeremy Gilbert's parents died. 

Now though, she was on her way to the Gilbert-Sommer residence with breakfast and Starbucks because she knows Jenna is gonna be a complete mess and two brooding teenagers aren't going to help. 

Slipping out of the car as soon as she pulls into the driveway and turns off her car, she makes her way to the front door. She juggles the food and drinks in her hands as she opens the door-- she needs to remind Jenna to lock that-- and walks to the kitchen. 

"Gilberts', Sommers, I come bearing gifts," she declares loudly. 

Jeremy's eyes light up and he lunges at the coffee and the treat his best friend had brought for him. Jenna shoots her a grateful look, taking her contents. Elena kisses her cheek, snatching her things. 

"You are a saint, Athena Salvatore," Elena says after she takes a sip of her drink. 

Athena smirks, shrugging, "I try." 

Jenna scoffed at her friend. "Very humble of you," she shot the Heretic a small smile. Athena smiled back, winking at her as she took a spot at the counter. Jenna took out money, "lunch money?" She asked her nephew and niece. 

Jeremy looked over at Elena but the girl shook her head, "I'm good." Jeremy plucked both bills and stuffed them in his pocket. Athena whacked his stomach lightly but he ignored her. 

"Anything else?... A number two pencil? What am I missing?" 

Athena looked back at her friend, "don't you have a big presentation today? At like," she glanced down at her watch, "now." 

"Crap!" Jenna pulled the pencil out of her hair and brushed a hand through it.

Athena chuckled softly, "go. I'll make sure these two troublemakers get to school." Jenna gave her a grateful smile, pecking her cheek before leaving. 

Elena sighed and looked at her brother, "you okay?" She asked. 

Jeremy scoffed and rolled his eyes as he passed her, "don't start." He took a sip of his coffee as he went to get his bag.