chapter twenty-one

Start from the beginning

He politely smiled but his eyes were asking her what she was doing. She narrowed her eyes and matched his stare. Hugh's nose scrunched up. She couldn't hold her giggle any longer. "Oh, stop looking like a dying cat. I missed you, Grove."

"Wind, you evil rat. I missed you too," he said, her voice having a hint of amusement. Then, the look on his face turned sympathetic. "How have you been?"

"Same old, same ole," She grinned. But Grove knew that she was covering it up. She was smiling for show. "How about you, old Grove?"

"I've been well," he said. "I've heard things are going great for your foundation's first project?"

"Yes. I have you to thank for that."

"Hmm... you owe me a summer," he had a lopsided grin on his face.

"Oh, is that right? I've heard none of the facts."

"Come on, Wind. Let's go on that Africa trip we always wanted to take," Hugh tried to convince her. "We could volunteer at one of your foundation's offices there."

"Alright, but let's talk about it some other time?" She pouted, batting her lashes at him. Hugh chuckled at her antics. He's been in love with her since he learned what love is, and she never noticed. She only saw him as a friend. The boy she grew up with. It hurt him to his core but he would rather be her best friend than nothing at all.

"Alright, Wind," He agreed. They both noticed that most of the people's attention were on them. Hugh chuckled. "You think they're thinking that we're making outrageous jokes?"

Andra chortled. "Nooo, a lady never makes jokes no matter how funny they are," she mimicked Julie Andrew's voice.

"How are you really?" Hugh asked quietly. It was almost a whisper, just enough for Andra to hear. It sounded genuinely full of concern.

"I think I'll be fine. The pain is still here but it'll get better," Andra gave a small smile. "By the way, thank you for sending a truckload of vanilla ice cream, Grove."

"No problem, Wind. Anything for you, and when you're ready to tell me everything, I'll eat those weird dessert combinations you like with you."

<>

"So, you're not attending the opening ceremony with your family?" Hugh entered the drawing room. He was informed that Her Royal Highness Princess Hope Alexandra of Wales was waiting in the drawing room of Grosvenor House (their London home.)

"No, we're going together."

"Why?" He burst, amusedly.

"I just wanted to bring you along. Granny said yes." Andra grinned.

"You do realize bringing me will make people talk?" He said seriously.

She tilted her head, making her look like she was scheming something. "But they're already talking, aren't they?"

"He should not be named is going to be there, isn't he?" Hugh bluntly asked. He loved her to the moon but he was looking out for her, so he couldn't go along with the flow for her sake. He wasn't going to let her fall face first. He was going to make sure she stands bloody tall.

"Yes. I need you there," Andra sounded so unlike herself. She was begging. She was vulnerable, he realized. Despite the strong front, she put up when the whole world was watching her get dumped, here she was... bare. No walls, no facades.

"Alright. I'll go change into a suit and tie." Hugh hastened his actions. He changed into a suit and tie. He made sure he looked presentable. He knew the battle that would come after this event. He wasn't going to embarrass her—she has already gone through enough of that.

<>

"The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have arrived with The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall," one of the commentators announced. Live video footage was flashed on the big screen of the Olympic stadium. The four of them waved at the crowd and were greeted by loud cheers. "Oh, here's Prince Harry as well!"

"Is the Princess with Prince Harry?"

"No, apparently not. Princess Hope is not yet in the building."

The opening ceremony began without the presence of Britain's mysterious and beloved Princess which brought curiosity as to her whereabouts. Then, the segment of the Queen and James bond...

"Mesdames et messieurs, veuillez vous lever pour sa majesté la Reine et son altesse royale le Duc d'Édimbourg accompagnés de son altesse royale la Princesse Hope Alexandra de Galles et du président du Comité International Olympique Jacques Rogge." The Queen entered the stadium with the Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Andra following right behind her. The whole stadium was filled with joyous cheers. "Ladies and gentlemen, please stand for Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh accompanied by Her Royal Highness Princess Hope Alexandra of Wales and the President of the International Olympic Committee Jacques Rogge."

Andra was seated between Hugh and Camilla in the row behind her grandparents. She smiled at her friend who was staring at her, speechless.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" She whispered. "Am I about to become an internet sensation?"

"No, you're awesomely beautiful," Hugh said. She shook her head in amusement. Then, Andra felt a stare and when she looked she saw him. Joachim. And her heart stopped. Her breath hitched, and she winced.

Hugh saw the change in her expression. "You know, you look awful when you're nervous," he said, making her snap out of the trance she was in.

Andra looked at him and mouthed a thank you. This guy she's known for thirteen years never ceased to make her feel comfortable during the times she needed it the most. They met when she was in a bad place, having lost her mother the year before, and now he was here when she was barely afloat.

<>

Author's note: Please don't be upset that I broke them up. It's part of life to find love and lose it, and find it again. Rest assured, I don't know who she'll end up with. It still might be Joachim or it might be Hugh or a character I haven't introduced yet. It's all up in the air!

Who's your bet for Andra? Write in the comments!

*this update is in honor of the 21k reads we currently have <3