19. smile through tears

Start from the beginning

"Nina? Why're you calling...it's like...10pm?", Seb asks, rubbing his eyes.

"You guys...something weird is happening.", I say, sitting down at the dining table.

"What's going on?", Kourtney asks me.

"There was a random box with chocolate and a teddy bear inside, sitting on my doorstep.", I explain, "And I got flowers earlier."

They all look at me through the screen with wide eyes and they stay silent. I give them a confused look, waiting for them to speak up.

"Uh- do you guys like...know something I don't or-", I question.

They all shake their heads fast.

"Uh- n-nope! I have no idea where those things are coming from. T-that's really we-weird.", Carlos stutters.

I furrow my brows at them, "Uh...alrighty then...I'll see ya'll tomorrow, Night"

I hang up and stare at the flowers, chocolate, and teddy bear.

"What in the world...", I talk to myself.

+

Ricky's pov

I finish getting ready for school before I head downstairs to see my mom still home.

"Hey, what's going on? Don't you have work?", I ask, opening the fridge.

She smiles at me, "Honey...I have some news you'll wanna hear."

I look at her a little worried, "Uh- okay? What is it?"

"So...your dad's coming home early. Real early. They cut his trip real short so he's flying back in this afternoon.", she explains.

My jaw drops and a big smile emerges from my face. My heart begins racing as I try to comprehend this information.

"O-oh my gosh!", I exclaim, "What time will he be home?"

"He'll definitely be home by the time you're home from school.", she smiles, "Speaking of which, you should get going so you aren't late."

I grin, "Okay! See you later mom! Love you!"

I rush out of the house and happily get in my car. I couldn't believe this. How is everything going so...perfectly right now?

I arrive in the East High parking lot and park my car. I grab my backpack and get out of my car, swinging my keys around my finger. As I walk up to the entrance, I notice a certain brunette-haired girl slowly making her way up. I decide to approach her.

"Hey uh- Nina", I greet.

She looks up at me, "Oh hey Ricky"

"So, uh- how's it going?", I ask, walking through the entrance with her.

As we walk through the halls, I see people staring and it's driving me insane. But, I block them out because they don't know about my plan.

"It's going good...you?", she asks me, stopping at her locker.

I nod, "Really good actually"

She turns around and smiles at me, "That's great Ricky. Oh uh also...about my dad's gravestone thing- you really don't have to-"

"Ninaaaaaaa", I say, dragging out her name.

She chuckles a little, "Ricky...if you really want to, you have to actually go to the cemetery...to meet with the people. I found out they don't do big transactions like this online."