"It doesn't matter if he 'meant' to do anything. The fact of the matter is that he did."

"Don't you think he cares about you?" she questioned softly. "I've seen the way that boy looks at you, how he acts around you. That's not a fake love."

"Forget love, Daphne. For all I know, for all I care, he could be so madly in love with me that he can't even think about other girls. The problem is, if you care about someone, you don't do something like that to them."

"It sounds like his hand was forced," she shyly stated. I felt bad for making her uncomfortable, but I was also glad she was conscious of my feelings. "You know the Malfoy's would have assigned him someone."

"I'm not saying that makes it okay," I wiped a dry tear from my duct, "I'm saying he had no authority in choosing me as his wife. I wasn't meant to have an arranged marriage."

She stayed silent a moment. She knew I was right; there was no refuting why a boy would pick you as his wife without your consent.

I'd feel bad for him if he was forced into a marriage, which he was, but he cannot right a wrong by doing another wrong thing. Being a victim of one thing does not give one the authority to victimize another person.

"He said it was fifth year, y/n. He was fifteen, really," she continued caressing my head, "I don't think the boy knew any better. He was scared... and selfish, yes. But I don't think he had any malicious intent."

"Malicious or not, it doesn't excuse the consequences of that action."

"I know, y/n, and you need time to heal. You deserve that more than anyone. I'm not saying to forgive Draco right away; you don't have to forgive him at all. But at least try to let yourself be happy in some capacity."

I shuffled off her lap and forced myself to sit up. My back hurt a little.

I was prompted by her mention at letting myself be happy. What was the point in that?

"I don't follow," I huffed. "What does happiness have to do with anything?"

"I love you more than words can explain, y/n, and you deserve to be happy. Not for Draco, not for your parents, but for yourself. I know that until you found this out, you were happy. Maybe a little unhappy with the circumstances, but you were at least becoming happy. I don't give a shit about anyone else in this situation but you, and you owe it to yourself to try to be happy, however that may be."

I opened my mouth to speak, but at that moment I heard the door swing in and I caught the sight of Theo doubled over, face red and trying to catch his breath like he'd just run a marathon. He clutched a tiny piece of parchment in one hand while the other was around his midsection.

"I came... as soon... as I heard..." he heaved out in shaky breaths. I'll admit, that was the first smile I cracked all day.

"It's about time, Nott!" Daphne motioned for him to come over. "I owl'd you half an hour ago!"

He looked like he was about to collapse, but he forced his lanky legs over to the bed and kneeled down on the floor beside me so that I was, sitting on the bed, some distance above him.

He held up the slip of parchment between his fingers as his breathing slowed.

"I got... your message... Daphne," he huffed before gasping for air a final time. "I was just with Draco."

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. "You were with him?"

Theo wiped a bead of sweat from his brow. He looked back to normal other than the red of his flushed cheeks.